Views
Helpful
Replies

1242 Root or Non-Root Bridge

IM-Design
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have a small network that uses 1242 APs for clients machines. Our wired WAN link can be unreliable, so I would like to configure one of the 1242s as a bridge and connect it to one of the many wireless networks we have in our neighborhood.

I understand the 1242 APs can also operate in a bridge mode that could allow us to connect our network to one of these other wireless LANs. A couple of questions:

-Does the remote WLAN have to be a compatible cisco device in order for the 1242 to be able to bridge successfully?

-Which 'Role in Radio Network' do I choose for our 1242?

-How do I see what the SSIDs of the remote WLANS are and enter the relevant passwords (WEP, WPA, 802.1x, or WPA2)

-If this is not possible, what is the right device to use to connect our LAN to a remote WLAN without being able to control the hardware at 'both' ends of the bridge.

TIA

2 Replies 2

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

Can you please provide me with a network topology of what it is you would like to achieve. If you want the radio interfaces to associate to one another, then it is recommended to have them on the same channel, but for roaming instances, it is recommended that you have then at least 5 channels apart on the g radio so as to avoid any interference.

The 802.11A radios on the APs would be configured as bridges (one as

a "root" and the other two as "non-root") and the 802.11G radios

would service clients. Only one of the APs would require wired

connectivity in this scenario, as long as all of the APs are

communicating to each other on the 802.11A side. An important

consideration is that the 802.11A radios that are configured as "non-

root bridges" need only to communicate with the 802.11A radio that is

configured as the "root bridge". It is not necessary for the "non-

root bridges" to see each other. However, it is imperative that the

802.11A radio that is configured as the "root bridge" be able to

communicate with BOTH of the 802.11A "non-root" bridges. Therefore,

the antennas you choose for the devices is important.

Hi htarra,

Thanks for the info.

Maybe i need to start from a more basic premise. The core question for me is whether I can use the 1242 ap on my RV to associate with and connect to wireless networks that we encounter on the road. In oter words, can I use the 1242 as one end of the bridge without knowing what the other end of the bridge is?

TIA

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card