cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Migration

munawar.zeeshan
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 switches. One VTP-Server and Three VTP-CLients. Now i want to move these three vtp clients so another location and will introduce a new switch there as vtp server.What are the best possibilites. I want to retain the VLAN info to the new location and want all my clients to sync there info with the new switch which eventually be vtp server? so my new switch also has all the vlans in it and then i can promote it as vtp server after updating its vlan database and revision number.

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

So you are moving 3 VTP clients and you are installing a new switch in the same location which you want to be a VTP server. And you want this VTP server to start off with the vlans that exist on the VTP client ?.

If so

1) Promote one of the VTP clients to be a VTP server.

2) Set the VTP mode on the new switch to be VTP transparent then set it to be a VTP client with the existing VTP domain name and password if you are using one.

3) Connect the new switch on a trunk link to the one of the existing switches and make sure the vlan database has been synched.

4) Promote the new switch to be a VTP server.

5) Demote the temporary VTP server back to a VTP client.

HTH

Jon

ok..thanks..

One more thing..when a switch looses its VTP information or when it resets it rev number..i think only when it is changed to transparent mode or when its vtp domain name chnangs.

will demoting or promoting a switch to client ot server mode will reset the rev number ?

No, changing between client and server does not reset the revision number.

Easiest way to ensure change of revision number is to make transparent and then change back to server or client.

Jon

Hi, another option configure manually the new vtp server switch.

downloadios
Level 1
Level 1

you can use some configuration-tools migrate the vtp-server's conf to the new-one.

what config tools are available ??

I'll play devils advocate here . How long does it really take to create the vlans on a new server ? Write down the current ones that the server has and just create them on the new server , this won't take more than 10 minutes . A server only propgates the vlans that are created . It doesn't keep track of what ports are in what vlan etc on any new clients . Temporaily set the clients to transparent mode and temporaily give it a different domain name then just create the new vlans on your new server , create your new domain name , do the same on the clients and change them back from transparent to clients. All the config revision numbers should get reset and the server willl just propagate the vlans to your switches . Jons way will work too . Myself I would just create the vlans on the server , takes no time at all . Change the vtp domain to null and back to the correct one to reset the vtp config revision number and let the server propagate the vlans as normal . A number of ways to do this , just use whatever you feel comfortable with .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco