Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS buffer tuning

DONALD HEERING
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On the 3560 and 3750 switches, you can tune the buffer allocation between queues with the:

mls qos queue-set output <qset-id> buffers <alloc1> <alloc2> <alloc3> <alloc4>

command. The alloc numbers are percentages and not absolute values.

I've searched high and low looking for the size of the (absolute) total buffer space on the 3560, but I have not been able to find it.

I would guess this buffer size is the output queue size of the interface, which you can tune with the hold-queue out <size> command? It defaults to 40 frames, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway got experience with this?

Best regards,

Donald Heering.

2 Replies 2

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

Donald,

You won't find the absolute values because they're not there, and those values are only percentages.

There are 4 egress queues with 3 threshold values per switch port. From the mls qos statement above, yes, the buffer is set at certain percentages for 4 egress queue in a particular port using the qset-id number.

In order for the switchport to work properly using the mls qos statement above, you would need to assign your switch port a particular qset-id.

Take a look at this document for more info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a0080883f9e.shtml

HTH,

hieu

Hello Hieu,

Thanks! Useful document.

Still, there must be a limitation of memory available for the 4 egress queues somewhere :-). It seems on of the best kept secrets about the 3560...

Best regards,

Donald.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco