cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting from MAC to ifIndex using SNMP MIBs on a Cat4500

mark.doyle
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to pull MAC -> ifIndex information from a Catalyst 4500 running cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-31.SGA, except that BRIDGE-MIB:dot1dTpFdbTable is not supported.

I can link MACs to ifIndex using cpsSecureMacAddressTable, but only for interfaces where port security is enabled(?), and of course atTable gives me MAC -> VLan ifIndex, but still doesn't help me associate a MAC with a physical interface.

Does anyone have a suggestion or know an alternative?

Thanks,

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The problem is you are using SNMPv3, and you most likely do not have SNMPv3 contexts configured. Run the command "show snmp context". This should list out all contexts supported on the switch. For each one of these contexts, you will need to add a command:

snmp-server group mygroup v3 auth context CONTEXT

Where CONTEXT is the context name. Once you have all your contexts configured, then you can use net-snmp's snmpwalk like so:

snmpwalk -v 3 -l authNoPriv -u myuser -a MD5 -A myuserpass -n CONTEXT x.x.x.x dot1dTpFdbTable

For example:

snmpwalk -v 3 -l authNoPriv -u myuser -a MD5 -A myuserpass -n vlan-100 14.32.100.39 dot1dTpFdbTable

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

dot1dTpFdbTable is the way to go, and it is supported in this code. What problems do you see trying to access objects in this table? What version of SNMP are you using?

Thanks for the reply.

The switch is snmp v3. I'm using net-snmp 5.4.1 (ssl version) and Solarwinds 9.0.

I've looked at several switches using the same code, but I don't see any populated tables under dot1Bridge (1.3.6.2.1.17). I am able to pull a wide number of other tables without problems.

:/

I tried specifically pulling the dot1dTpFdbTable you suggested, but no values there either. If I walk BRIDGE-MIB I do see a few single values, like Dot1dBaseType.0 being 4 (srt).

Is it possible that these tables stop populating if port security is in use?

Mark

The problem is you are using SNMPv3, and you most likely do not have SNMPv3 contexts configured. Run the command "show snmp context". This should list out all contexts supported on the switch. For each one of these contexts, you will need to add a command:

snmp-server group mygroup v3 auth context CONTEXT

Where CONTEXT is the context name. Once you have all your contexts configured, then you can use net-snmp's snmpwalk like so:

snmpwalk -v 3 -l authNoPriv -u myuser -a MD5 -A myuserpass -n CONTEXT x.x.x.x dot1dTpFdbTable

For example:

snmpwalk -v 3 -l authNoPriv -u myuser -a MD5 -A myuserpass -n vlan-100 14.32.100.39 dot1dTpFdbTable

Awesome. Thank you very much.

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: