cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sup720 upgrade

mikedurbin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have to do a IOS upgrade on a pair of sup720s in an 6509. Ive been looking for a step-by-step on how to do this. Anyone know or can point to a good document?

6 Replies 6

mikedurbin
Level 1
Level 1

Will it be the same as upgrading an IOS for an 3560 or a 1800?

and boot new ios with command : boot system xxx

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yeah its really no different than a 3560 other than you have multiple places you can put the image such as bootflash or disk0 or slot0: . Then make your boot statement match where the image is located . Just make sure you understand where you put it , your msfc bootflash and supervisor bootflash are different . If it fits use the supervisor bootflash because the supervisor portion boots first then hands off the boot process to the msfc for the layer 3 side . the boot statement should point to either supervisor bootflash or slot0 or both if you put it in both locations . In some cases now the 720 image is getting so large your only option will be slot0 as its the only thing big enough to hold the image . It really has gotten to the ridiculous point when an image is 80 megabytes in size and takes 8-10 minutes to boot .

Thank you for answering. Last question on this, but is there an image for the msfc also? Or will I just be concerned with getting an image for the sup720. I think I may be a little confused as if these are two separate items.

Hi Mike,

This URL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_example09186a0080116ff0.shtml

should address all your concerns.

Feel free to post back if you run into problems.

Good luck with your upgrade.

HTH,

__

Edison.

good information. thank you guys.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card