cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to configure gi0/0 as switchport

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco 2851 with two integrated 10/100/1000 ports and im trying to configre them as switchport (switchport access vlan X) but I don't see an available command, does this switch not support gigabit ports to switchport? I'm able to configure other FastEthernet ports to switchport but not the gigabit port.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

bathory0110
Level 1
Level 1

command : sw mod access

no that's doesn't work

Router(config-if)#sw mod access

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Hi,

In order to let a layer 3 port to act as a Layer 2 port you must use the interface configuration command: switchport.

After this command you must use that interface as a Layer 2 interface.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Massimiliano.

i know that but it is not happening on this one

Hi Nawaz,

The 2851 is a Cisco router, and the integrated GE interfaces of Cisco routers doesn't support to be configured as switchports.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

these are built in router ports not a layer2/3 switch thus you cannot configure them as switchports. You would have to buy the optional 4, 8, 16 port switch modules to fit into one of the slots if you want this feature otherwise get a manageable switch and use the 2800 as a router on a stick for the routing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: