One WLC for Headquarter and Remote Site

Answered Question
Jan 19th, 2008

Hi

I have a question about the WLC remote deployment.

We have the following design at the moment:

Headquarter

- Network 192.168.49.0 /24

- WLC 4402 Version 4.2.61.0

-- 3 x LAP1252

-- Layer 3 LWAPP

-- SSID wep

-- SSID wpa

- Windows PDC with Active Directory, DHCP Server and local Data Storage

- ACS Version 3.2 for TACACS and RADIUS authentication --> External DB to Active Directory

Remote Site

- Network 192.168.50.0 /24

- 2 x LAP1252

-- SSID wep

-- SSID wpa

- Windows PDC with Active Directory, DHCP Server and local Data Storage

- ACS Version 3.2 for TACACS and RADIUS authentication --> External DB to Active Directory

Connection between Headquarter and Remote Site

- 2 Mbit ADSL

The problem is, that the wireless clients on the remote site get an ip address out of the headquarter DHCP Range 192.168.49.0 /24. The users on the remote site

most of the time only use the local data server in the remote office. With the actual design the hole traffic is switched over the 2 Mbit ADSL connection the the

WLC in the headquarter and back to the remote site. That works but it is not that performant.

The problem could be solved with HREAP, but what I think is, that it is not possible to have the same SSID at headquarter and remote site with different VLANs.

How can I achieve, that the clients on the remote site connect to the same SSID (wep or wpa), get an ip address from the remote site DHCP server (192.168.50.0)

and the traffic is switched localy.

I hope you understand what the problem is.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by dancampb about 8 years 10 months ago

Yes, putting the remote AP's in HREAP mode will allow the same WLANs to be available on the AP's but the traffic would be locally switched at the AP instead of being tunneled back to the controller. After you put the AP in HREAP mode you then would configure which VLAN you want traffic for each WLAN to be dumped onto for that AP.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
dancampb Sat, 01/19/2008 - 06:16

Yes, putting the remote AP's in HREAP mode will allow the same WLANs to be available on the AP's but the traffic would be locally switched at the AP instead of being tunneled back to the controller. After you put the AP in HREAP mode you then would configure which VLAN you want traffic for each WLAN to be dumped onto for that AP.

Actions

This Discussion