Views
Helpful
Replies

debug detail logs from 2801 router

omgjames1
Level 1
Level 1

i have done the following:

access-list 169 permit ip host <vpn client ip address after connecting through the vpn client> host <ip phone ip address>

access-list 169 permit ip host <ip phone ip address> host <vpn client ip address after connecting through the vpn client>

After creating that type the following command:

debug ip packet 169 detail

After that try to make a call through your ip communicator and see the logs on the router

My question is this, how do I retrieve the detail logs?

-J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

J

That debug will send its output to syslog with severity level of 7. There are several ways to see the log output:

- if you do terminal monitor a copy of the log messages including the debug output will be sent to your telnet/SSH session at the time that the output is generated.

- if you have enabled logging buffered at level 7 (which is the default) then copies of the debug output are written to the logging buffer. You can see the output using the command show log. Note that the logging buffer is a circular buffer, the debug output is written to the buffer and remains available in the buffer until the buffer gets full and then the debug messages are overwritten.

- if you have enabled logging to the console at level 7 then copies of the debug output are written to the console at the time that the output is generated by debug.

To stop generating the logging output you turn off debug using the command no debug ip packet 169 detail. Or you cn use the command undebug all.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

omgjames1
Level 1
Level 1

and then how do I shut the detail logs off?

-J

J

That debug will send its output to syslog with severity level of 7. There are several ways to see the log output:

- if you do terminal monitor a copy of the log messages including the debug output will be sent to your telnet/SSH session at the time that the output is generated.

- if you have enabled logging buffered at level 7 (which is the default) then copies of the debug output are written to the logging buffer. You can see the output using the command show log. Note that the logging buffer is a circular buffer, the debug output is written to the buffer and remains available in the buffer until the buffer gets full and then the debug messages are overwritten.

- if you have enabled logging to the console at level 7 then copies of the debug output are written to the console at the time that the output is generated by debug.

To stop generating the logging output you turn off debug using the command no debug ip packet 169 detail. Or you cn use the command undebug all.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

that worked great thanks!

-J

J

I am glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read an answer that resolved the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: