1 subnet split over 2 locations?

Answered Question

Hi we have a subnet which for clustering purposes must be split across 2 different locations connected via a leased line.

At the moment we are spanning 1 vlan across the two switches at either end via a trunk.

However if we lose the trunk connection we can still reach the remote site via layer 3 access (as the site has more than one connection) but the trunk goes down along with the link therefore full connectivity is lost.

Can anyone suggest a better way to split one subnet across the two sites? We cannot put another connection in and we cannot use a trunk via the other l3 links either as this would mean a major reconfuguration of the current set ups.

Any help would be great

thanks

Jonathan

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 9 years 5 months ago

Jonathan

As far as i know unfortuntely not, at least i haven't come across it before. It might be worth checking the Pix release notes just in case.

Edit - bear in mind that it is using tunneling so there is no reason why you couldn't use 2 routers and tunnel through the pix firewalls but that depends on your security policy really.

Jon

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Mon, 01/21/2008 - 04:08
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Jonathan

As far as i know unfortuntely not, at least i haven't come across it before. It might be worth checking the Pix release notes just in case.

Edit - bear in mind that it is using tunneling so there is no reason why you couldn't use 2 routers and tunnel through the pix firewalls but that depends on your security policy really.

Jon

Actions

This Discussion