cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1 subnet split over 2 locations?

jmoss1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have a subnet which for clustering purposes must be split across 2 different locations connected via a leased line.

At the moment we are spanning 1 vlan across the two switches at either end via a trunk.

However if we lose the trunk connection we can still reach the remote site via layer 3 access (as the site has more than one connection) but the trunk goes down along with the link therefore full connectivity is lost.

Can anyone suggest a better way to split one subnet across the two sites? We cannot put another connection in and we cannot use a trunk via the other l3 links either as this would mean a major reconfuguration of the current set ups.

Any help would be great

thanks

Jonathan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan

As far as i know unfortuntely not, at least i haven't come across it before. It might be worth checking the Pix release notes just in case.

Edit - bear in mind that it is using tunneling so there is no reason why you couldn't use 2 routers and tunnel through the pix firewalls but that depends on your security policy really.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jonathan

L2TPv3 would allow you to extend your vlan across a L3 link. Please see attached link for details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801a756b.html

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply this is great. However do you know if I could set this up using 2 x cisco pix 515E's rather than a router?

Cheers

Jonathan

As far as i know unfortuntely not, at least i haven't come across it before. It might be worth checking the Pix release notes just in case.

Edit - bear in mind that it is using tunneling so there is no reason why you couldn't use 2 routers and tunnel through the pix firewalls but that depends on your security policy really.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card