cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1 subnet split over 2 locations?

jmoss1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have a subnet which for clustering purposes must be split across 2 different locations connected via a leased line.

At the moment we are spanning 1 vlan across the two switches at either end via a trunk.

However if we lose the trunk connection we can still reach the remote site via layer 3 access (as the site has more than one connection) but the trunk goes down along with the link therefore full connectivity is lost.

Can anyone suggest a better way to split one subnet across the two sites? We cannot put another connection in and we cannot use a trunk via the other l3 links either as this would mean a major reconfuguration of the current set ups.

Any help would be great

thanks

Jonathan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan

As far as i know unfortuntely not, at least i haven't come across it before. It might be worth checking the Pix release notes just in case.

Edit - bear in mind that it is using tunneling so there is no reason why you couldn't use 2 routers and tunnel through the pix firewalls but that depends on your security policy really.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jonathan

L2TPv3 would allow you to extend your vlan across a L3 link. Please see attached link for details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801a756b.html

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply this is great. However do you know if I could set this up using 2 x cisco pix 515E's rather than a router?

Cheers

Jonathan

As far as i know unfortuntely not, at least i haven't come across it before. It might be worth checking the Pix release notes just in case.

Edit - bear in mind that it is using tunneling so there is no reason why you couldn't use 2 routers and tunnel through the pix firewalls but that depends on your security policy really.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card