cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 etherchannel to 4948

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

I have an etherchannel that does seem to be [assing traffic between the two gig ports on a 2960 and two gig ports from a 4948. When I created the extherchannel on the 2960 there didn't seem to be an option to type the command

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you only have one trunking option, you don't need enter dot1q. You need to enter dot1q when the switch supports ISL and 802.1q.

The 2960 only supports 802.1q, you can verify the trunking status by typing show interface fx/x switchport

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

should read "doesn't seem to be passing traffic between the two gig ports"

I had vtp set to server for some reason... So my management network wasn't reachable??? LOL

Have a great day netpros

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is the only type of encapsulation it supports so its the default and you don't have to set it . It does not support ISL for trunks...

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you only have one trunking option, you don't need enter dot1q. You need to enter dot1q when the switch supports ISL and 802.1q.

The 2960 only supports 802.1q, you can verify the trunking status by typing show interface fx/x switchport

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card