Views
Helpful
Replies

7970G not pulling down firmware

timgaunt82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got an issue with a factory-reset 7970G, it's receiving it's new IP address from the DHCP server without an issue (192.168.3.99) but it doesn't appear to make any subsequent requests to the server for the latest files, could anyone suggest why this may be?

Thanks,

Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glad to know it helped. Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have option 150 in the DHCP settings ?

Hi,

I don't think so but the DHCP server is on the same server.

Tim

A CM server ?

I beleive so yes, we only have a single server in the office. I'm not the person that set it up so I apologise if I'm a little sketchy on some of the details.

For what it's worth we have another Cisco phone in the office which updates fine, this one gets the IP and says "Upgrading" on the middle box but the bottom box that usually has details of the files being transferred is blank.

Tim

Do you have admin access to the server ? How does it looks like ?

I've just contacted the guy that set it up for us and he says they are different servers and Option 150 is set ok.

The issue appears to be with the phone as he says it's not making a request for the SEP.cnf.xml file? Does that make sense?

Tim

To prove that phones is not making the request, you should need to sniff on the network. On the other hand, if it is not doing the request, it would not even register. Does it registers ? What are the CM settings for that device ?

I've done that and other than getting the IP there's no traffic, I was using Wireshark, is there a more stuitable alternative?

The phone was factory-reset so AFAIK there are no new settings.

Tim

Does the phone do the DHCP request repeatedly ?

Such would be a sign that it doesn't like it.

Also try the alternate reset sequence: 3491672850*#

Yes it does! I can see it making a request every few minutes. The IP is 192.168.3.99 what would be a better IP?

That alternative reset sequeence doesn't appear to do anything -and then after a while the lights flash red instead of orange :S

Tim

Ah, I've just cleared the DHCP pool and it's picked up the firmware without an issue. The issue now however is since doing the alternative reset the screen has turned off?

Tim

Ah don't worry, it appears to have come back to life :)

Thanks for your help, you were right, it was an issue with the IP address.

Tim

Glad to know it helped. Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below!

Every few minutes it's normal, as it is re-attempting initialization. You should definitely see a TFTP request, however at this point also look in the DHCP reply and check that option 150 in in there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: