HELP! Am I a CCNP. Part II

Unanswered Question
Jan 21st, 2008

Ok, so I have passed my the four CCNP modules. I checked online to see if the certification had been added to my candidate record and it had. Great! How long until I get my certificate? So, I called the helpline and they told me that I wasn't a CCNP because I don't hold a valid CCNA!!!!

So, how long do I have to do the CCNA as three years have gone by since I took the first module of my CCNP.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brandon Buffin Mon, 01/21/2008 - 06:04

Most exams, including the CCNP exams, are valid for 3 years. So, if it has been more than 3 years since taking any of the CCNP exams, you would need to retake the exam(s) and pass the CCNA to obtain CCNP.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

jasdanie Mon, 01/21/2008 - 07:17

Hi Brandon,

It has been a week since taking the last exam but I'm hoping for a definitive answer. I know that certainly would be the case if taking the CCNA and then the CCNP or CCNP to CCIE. But what if it is vice versa? I called the helpline and they can see that I have just passed the fourth of the exams but the qualification still isn't valid.

Brandon Buffin Mon, 01/21/2008 - 07:29

It isn't valid because you need CCNA to qualify for CCNP. Any 642 exam is valid for 3 years. After 3 years, the exam cannot be used towards certification. See the following link.

So, if it's been more than 3 years since taking any of the CCNP exams, you will have to retake that exam in addition to passing the CCNA.

Brandon Buffin Mon, 01/21/2008 - 10:20

Click the "Certification Tracking System Tool" link to the right of this post.

Hope this helps.

This Discussion