cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving accounts between 4.0.5 and 4.2

jennifer.ross
Level 1
Level 1

Background: I have two Unity systems currently. We are migrating from the old 4.0.5 system to the new 4.2 system.

I have gone through all of the documentation to make sure both servers are in the same dialing domain, streaming folder is shared and has replicated all wav files to both machines. My only issues seems to be when I launch the Global Subscriber Manager, I cannot chose the 4.2 system to move users to from the 4.0.5 system. I can however from the 4.2 system see the 4.0.5 system listed as a choice. I can not figure out why I am unable to see the new system as a choice to move users to from the 4.0.5 system. If anyone knows of anything else I can possibly check, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

More info: I have users on both servers and the admin relays correctly depending on which system they are on when callers leave a message.

5 Replies 5

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have run into this issue before - I believe there was a bug or issue with the version of the GSM tool - you need to be at the lower version to move the users I believe...downgrade the version of GSM on the 4.2 server and see if that works. Sorry, I cant remember the actual version as we no longer have any 4.05 servers.

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely give that a try today and let everyone know if this does work so that it might also help anyone else upgrading hardware and version from 4.0.5 to 4.2.

Unfortunately, this did not work. I reverted both systems back to using an older version of GSM and it still worked the same way. The 4.2 system can see the 4.0.5 but not the other way around. Any other suggestions?

I can't speak to the details of the GSM tool (not one of mine unfortunately), but you may be interested in trying out COBRAS for this - you can check out its home page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_COBRAS.htm

there's a couple short training videos demonstrating it's use and a link to the help file.

You can move users/handlers/distribution lists/schedules between 4.0(5) and 4.2(1) - and you can easily test just one user at a time if you like. I'd create a tes user on your 4.0(5) system, leave them some messages, setup a greeting etc... and then do a backup with the COBRAS tool and restore just that one subscriber on your 4.2(1) system and see how it goes for you.

It's been in use on a number of sites and in some labs for some bigger customers in the last few months. It's not TAC supported yet but I'm working with sites personally on this one so if you run into a problem, email me directly.

The short version is COBRAS will move more data between your servers than GSM's move will. It's also a bit more sophisticated in how it deals with missing/broken links during the move.

Thank you. I'll check into this and see how it works with one test user.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: