cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wrong value in RME 'Detailed Device Report' for cat2950 and cat3550

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I found the following issue with LMS 2.6 and LMS 3.0 for the following device types:

cat2950 and cat3550

if the port description for fa0/1 contains '.01' or something else (e.g. '0.3') as the last 3 characters (without the single quotes)

Inventory Collection does not handle the Interface Description' correctly

Do the following:

Switch21(config)#inter fa0/1

Switch21(config-if)#descr room 300.01

Switch21(config-if)#

launch the 'Device Center' page for the device

click on 'Update Inventory'

after the job completes, open the 'Detailed Device Report' for the device

'Interface Description' for the port will be 'FastEthernet0/1 User configured description: room 300.01' instead of just 'FastEthernet0/1'

now change the description for inter f0/1 to 'room 300.02' (without single quotes)

Switch21(config)#inter fa0/1

Switch21(config-if)#descr room 300.02

Switch21(config-if)#

do the same as before and in the Detailed Device Report the 'Interface Description' for ***fa0/2**** will be

'FastEthernet0/2 User configured description: room 300.02'

while the 'Interface Description' for fa0/1 will be correct;

has anybody else observed this issue?

I tested some other device types which handles the port description correctly so it seems to be an issue with the RME device packages for these devices.

Attached is a screenshot ot the 'Detailed Device Type'

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Printing the user-configured interface description (locIfDescr) is actually the intended result. Why they only coded this in one path, and not for all devices is beyond me. The results you are seeing are due to a bug. I have developed a patch, but you will need to contact TAC, and have your engineer contact me to get it.

thanks for your fast response!

I will contact TAC tomorrow. Is there a bug id for this issue I can additionaly refer on?

Another thing I noticed, was the fact that generating the Detailed Device report for this device with cwcli in csv format splitted the value line for fa0/1 (section 'Processor Port Interface) right after the 'Interface Description'(that was how I found this issue). I did not verify this for the xml dump.

I filed CSCsm31447 to track this.

SR# is 607759285.

the case owner will contact you for the patch.

thanks for the patch! now I have had time to do some testing.

I just updated the Case with new info with regard to the cwcli issue.

My patch did nothing with cwcli. In fact, it was very tactical. The User configured description text was always present, and thanks to my patch, it is now able to be seen. The problem with cwcli is that the actual interface description is set to:

ifDescr\nUser configured description: ...

By the code that collects inventory. So the reason the cwcli output is split before User configured description is that there is actually a newline in there.

I can provide a patch that will quote the field that contains the embedded newline. This will still require a slightly smarter CSV parser, but it should still be readable.

I think that would do it.

If the whole value for 'Interface Description' would be put in double quotes my parser should be able to handle this and put it back into one line for further processing.

Would this patch be included in a future maintenance update or do I need to control this behaviour in future releases myself?

This would be a new bug, and the patch would be integrated into a future release.

That sounds really good!

It would be greate if you could provide a patch for this issue that puts the value of 'Interface Description' in double qutes and provide it to the case-owner.

Thanks!

just updated the case :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: