Opinions on Safari online

Unanswered Question
Jan 21st, 2008

Does anyone here have any opinions on using Safari online? I got a 45 day subscription with my BSCI book, as it doesn't come with an electronic copy of the book, and the site seems to have a lot of Cisco Press and other books available. I figure that the subscription price is worth it if I buy just a few books per year, which is feasible. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
srue Mon, 01/21/2008 - 12:15

it's a pretty good deal for the price. unless you get one of the more expensive memberships, you can't download chapters (easily) or print (easily). Also, you have to not mind reading all of your books on a computer screen. And it's kinda of like renting, once you're done with a book, you don't get to keep it - which is what I personally like about real books.

if you're on a tight budget though, and would rather spend $$ on equipment or something else, go for it.

eleibowitz Wed, 01/30/2008 - 14:11

The one big advantage of Safari is that you can do a search through the text of their entire stock of online books. As I recall (I've not used it for a while), it shows brief excerpts of the text around the search keyword. That gives you a good, though not failproof, sense of which books best suit your needs. You also get to start reading instantly instead of waiting to get your hands on the book. On the down side, I find that reading this material from a book is more productive (not to mention comfortable) since it is much easier to refer back to diagrams or previous text than if you have to scroll through screens. You can download/print sections, but you have to pay per section. Various pricing packages include limited downloads. If you have a Cisco Press book, you can get 45 days access to that book on Safari for free, so that is a good way to try it out. I'm not sure if that applies to all Cisco Press, but it will say so on the back cover.

andrew.burns Thu, 01/31/2008 - 01:48

Hi,

I used safari for about 6 months before getting so annoyed about not being able to print any of the books I had access to that I gave it up.

When I asked safari about it they said that it is up to the individual book authors to give permission to print, and in nearly all cases (of the Cisco Press books I had on my bookshelf) this permission hadn't been granted so I couldn't print anything.

I don't know of any way you can see in advance which books you can print and which you can't but it's certainly something to be aware of.

HTH

Andrew.

srue Thu, 01/31/2008 - 07:32

...of course you could always copy/paste each screen into word or something and print from there. but that's a bit of work...not that I would know.

Actions

This Discussion