Views
Helpful
Replies

Actual Throughput for Cisco 7206VXR and 7204 with G1/G2 NPEs

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I need to calculate or just know the actual throughput of a Cisco 7206 router with G1 and with G2 NPEs and for a Cisco router 7204 with the NPEs listed above.

I searched the Cisco site and looked at thevarious datasheets but they all talk about the performance which is not the actual throughput.

The reason for this is that we are building a whole new office and are moving to Cisco Gears from Extreme and for this I have benn asked to come up with some numbers for Power requirement (which I have already done that one) and actual throughputs forthe routers. we will be having a Fractional DS3 and a 100MB back-to-back Ether connection to the Internet. Now, I have to come up with the throughput (for my boss) of the router and a way for redundancy/failover given the 100 MB Ether and the Fractional DS3!?

I really don't know what I will be needing to do for the redundancy part, autiomatic using BGP? HSRP? other ways?

the fact that Fractional DS3 terminates on the router and to me, the 100 MB must terminate on the Cisco 4510R (SUP 6), if mu asumption is correct but istill don't know how to get that going?

is there any other ways to do this?

I know that I asked two very different questions but please try to help me on both the questions so that I don't post another questions on the almost same issue.

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Mike

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With CEF enabled, the G1 will give you around 520Mbps while G2 will give you around 1Gbps (please see attached file for more info).

Redundancy to the LAN can be accomplished with HSRP (active/standy) or GLBP (load-balancing).

Information on either protocol can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hiap_c/ch20/index.htm

As for redundancy for the internet facing interfaces, you can use BGP but both ISPs need to advertise your block of public IP addresses.

On the next post, I recommend posting some kind of high level design diagram on how all these pieces will tie together.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison, I will post a high level design scenario soon i.e. as soon as I come up with one. we ordered equipment today and I need ot start thinking about how to put these gears together given all the VLANs thayt we currently have linking our offices to two datacenters.

so, our outside interfaces actually will be facing our datacenters, now, although the BGP can be used but I may need to consider using IGP for instance EIGRP or just keep it at layer 2 and rouet through our VLANs but I still need to know how I'll atttempt the redundancy so that fractional DS3 takes over when the 100 MB Ether (Back-to-Back) connection with ISP in the same building should the 100 MB Ether goes down?

I have used primary and shadow T1s using BGP and the redundancy was working very well but on scenarios like what I just described, I don't know?

Thx,

Mike

I'm confused on how the outside interfaces would be connected. Are they private circuits or internet circuits? If they are private circuits, any IGP would do the job for redundancy. EIGRP would be the easiest of the IGPs and it provides unequal load-balancing, if needed.

Hi,

The outside Interfaces will considered to be Internal since both the WAn circuits are used to connect our offices to our datacenter in the SAVVIS facilities, so we all hit the Internet through our datacenter through SAVVIS (our whole compnay datacenter will be a vLAn on teh SAVVIS's cloud). so these interfaces (outside) will be private.

we need to have two ways to connect to our datacenter for redundancy and for that we will have a Frc DS# and a 100 MB Ether connection from two different ISPs.

I also beleive EIGRP will do the job but I have not used it in the past for redundancy purposes. is there any reading material that you can point me to in order to accomplosh this?

thanks very much.

Mike.

Thanks Edison.

Mike.

hi Edison ,

i have a question :

i have 27206 with npeg2 ,

i was applying qos  and it was fine during thr rush hour

but after increasing my band  ===> about 780 Mbps for download and 75Mbps for upload

my qos is matching fine  ........................but the performance is bad !!!

i mean that the policy map is matching the trafffic , but i see a reflection to that match ??!!!

as an example i giving youtube traffic about 400Mbps guranteed , but i have interrupts !!!

this interruprs wasnt exist in the past ,

i think it existed when  my  bw got more  and more congested  .

why it occured , ???!!! i have QOS ???!!!!!

i dont know  !!!

=====================================================

the question is ,

is this hardware issue ???

or

it is config miss issue ??

wish to help ASAP

regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card