Level 1
Level 1

The scenario is this.

I configured a

switch1 f0/2 vlan 2 sales, mode access

switch1 f0/12 switchport mode trunk allowed vlan 2

switch2 f0/4 no vlan configured, no switchport mode

switch2 f0/12 switchport mode trunk allowed vlan 2

but i configured them in same network and same default gateway... the question is.. how come i still can ping from sales switch 1 to none configured switch2 port but same network subnet.. is my network simulator valid for studying or i have to try another simulator.. please help

7 Replies 7

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

your scenario is not clear. from where you ping? from switch or from computer?

what do you mean by : can ping from sales switch 1 to none configured...?

please give more details

The scenario is this.

I configured a

switch1 f0/2 vlan 2 sales, mode access (HOST 1)

switch2 f0/4 configuration at all (HOST 2)

but i configured the 2 hosts in same subnet and same default gateway...

the question is.. how come i still can ping from "host 1" connected to switch 1 f0/2 to none configured "host 2" connected to f0/4 switch2..

is my network simulator valid for studying or i have to try another simulator.. please help

The scenario is this.

I configured a

switch1 f0/2 vlan 2 sales, mode access (HOST 1)

switch2 f0/4 NO configuration at all (HOST 2)

but i configured the 2 hosts in same subnet and same default gateway...

the question is.. how come i still can ping from "host 1" connected to switch 1 f0/2 to none configured "host 2" connected to f0/4 switch2..

is my network simulator valid for studying or i have to try another simulator.. please help

hi,

What is the default gateway?Is it a vlan interface or a router?Are your switches L3?Which simulator are you using?

If you are using a router as a default gateway are using trunking between s/w and a router?

In case of a router with trunking if the pc sends the arp broadcast on vlan 2 it will reach the router and router will do proxy arp and then you can ping the host 2 (same applies to L3 switch).

HTH,

regards,

shri :)

shrikar is right

if the default gateway of your vlan is a router or other suitable layer 3 device, then provided there are no access-lists to deny it passing traffic, it should be able to ping the other interface

thanks shrikar for your reply.. there's only 2 switches, i just configured the 2 hosts with the same subnet and default gateway.. the main question here is.. how come i can still ping the host2 from host1? i should get a reply echo time out.. because the switch2's interface f0/2 of the host2 isnt configured as vlan mode access there is no configuration at all in this interface.. although i configured the switch2's interface f0/12 as trunk. please help me get through with this.. and also.. can you describe me a layer3 switch.. is this just a terminology about router? or there is a special switch that can function on layer 3?.. thanks

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Generally you have to create sub-int in L3 that sub-int id become a gateway in your scenario which is L3 & L2 and to which device your host connected.

Regards,

Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card