cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ideal dhcp load on PIX 501?

danparsons
Level 1
Level 1

As well as running the usual firewall functions, how many DHCP clients can a 501 take before any slowdown occurs?

Cheers.

4 Replies 4

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Daniel, I am not aware of PIX shutdown caused by the number of assign IPs to clients unless there is a bug related to this issue, is this what you are currently experiencing in your PIX, or is this just a general question.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge,

It was just a general question, as I have heard some people recommend not using dhcp on a pix as it may lose efficiencey as a security device due to additional load.

My opinion, if you think of it the process of DHCP is an ARP request from client and that's it once client receives IP from PIX and PIX provides IP that would be the only traffic, the only load I see for example is if 200 clients at the same time turn on their machines at the same time sending ARP request to PIX, and even then PIX should be able to handle it.

Personally I would not recomend DHCP on PIXs unless you have a very small network say 20 users and that there were no DHCP server, I would then use Windows AD for DHCP as it comes free from Windows server and easy to manage.

Rgds

Jorge

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The number of DHCP Clients on the PIX really depends upon the Software License. For example, a 10 User License can only support 32 DHCP Leases. Please refer the "Software License" section of the below URL which will assist you in deciding is Pix 501 the right solution in your environment and also the cost associated with Software Licensing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps2030/ps2031/product_data_sheet09186a0080091b18.html

Note that the Unlimited User License can only support a max of 256 clients.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card