Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory Issue

aijaz802
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco 3660 router with 64MB DRAM. When I use the command sh proc mem or sh mem sum, it shows me only 18MB. Will anyone explain me where the rest of memory used.

Thanks..

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

If you post the output we can help you further.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Br,

Attached is the file with output...

Thanks..

Aizaz

You are correct that the show version is very clear about 64 MB of memory. And neither the show memory or the show proc mem come anywhere close to that. I am not sure but I believe that the major difference is the amount of memory used to hold the IOS image and run it. The memory that is reported (total, used, free, etc) is the memory not used for the image that is available for processing tasks.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Totally agree with Rick, the total field in the output is the amount of memory available after the IOS loads and builds its data structures. The I/O (AKA shared memory, fast memory or PCI memory) is the packet memory used for packet buffering (Packet Memory can be either a separate physical RAM or shared DRAM).

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card