Views
Helpful
Replies

Label to FEC Binding

arun kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I ve a doubt regarding who will do the Label to FEC bindnig.. Is it done by LDP or by FEC...

I m in an assumption that LDP (or any signalling prtocol in that matter) will only distribute the labels for the prefixes in the routing table to its neighbor and Global MPLS process does the Label to FEC binding.. But i ve read in some documents the Binding for Labels to FEC is done by LDP..

6 Replies 6

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

AFAIK and from my basic understanding of 3036, LDP is responsible for end-to-end creation of the LSP and this also includes the binding of the FEC to the label (in effect the LSP).

senthil_kumarpv
Level 1
Level 1

As per the mpls architecture ,data plane and control plane architect mpls,the part which u mentioned is done by the control plane in the mpls

Regards,

Senthil

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

There is no relation between LDP and FEC as to how the binding occurs.

FEC as you might be knowing stands for Forwarding Equivalence Class which is nothing but a "group" of packets to be handled in a similar way, in most MPLS networks this is packets assigned to a particular destination or Destination based forwarding.

Once the routes are learnt by the routing table via an IGP, LDP will assign labels and create a binding between routes and label i.e. a label table showing which label is assigned to which route.

LDP also exchanges the labels between its Peers.

Cheers

Yes

"Labels are bound to the routes in the routing table "

Regards,

Senthil

Labels are bound to the routes in the RIB or FIB.( FIB is a copy of RIB)

There wont be any FIB or Adjacency table when CEF is disabled.

Local label binding for the PREFIX is not happening when CEF is disabled.

According to you if the routes are taken from RIB ,there should be an local label binding for the prefix in the routing table(RIB).

Hi Arun,

First would like to add here is that LDP is not used to assign labels to FEC. LDP's function is to distribute the labels locally generated as well as received from remote bindings.

CEF is used to assign labels.

Also, FIB is not a copy of RIB. FIB points to the outgoing interface and also the recursive lookup is already performed.

So, for your question "No" LDP is not used to assign labels.

HTH.

Cheers,

Nikhil E.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: