cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Urgent questions!! OM3 fiber cable!!

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

we have a new building, and I told the cable company run OM3 cable from second floor to 1st FL data closet because we have 4510R SupV-10G at each floor.

However, the cable company ran a regular fiber cable instead of OM3 mistakenly.

My questions, can I still use OM3 patch cable?? Second questions, can I still have the 10Gig performace??

Thanks

Ken

4 Replies 4

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Ken

om3 is 50/125 , om2 is also 50/125 so you could use the fiber, however, 0m3 is optimized and new than om2 so I would make sure you use the same fiber. om2 will run 10 gig about 82m approx, where as om3 will run 10gig for 300m approx.

I wouldnt be to happy about what they have done though.

hope that helps

Carl,

Thanks for reply. I saw the fiber cable is 62.5/125 something like that. So I guess it is OM1 cable, right?

Will that work with 10GIG?

Another question. If the cable company run a new OM3 cable, can I use OM1 patch cable connec to cisco 1gig fiber module? In other words, it is backward compatible?

Thanks again

Ken

OM1, OM2 and OM3 all can carry 10Gbps traffic if 10G connectors are used (e.g. Cisco SR connectors), the distance supported differs.

For OM1, 10Gbps can be carried upto 33meters, OM2 82m and OM3 300m.

OM3 can even carry 40Gbps and 100Gbps traffic, OM1 and OM2 can't.

I am curious about this also.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: