Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem in copying ios to tftp server

amolwaghmare
Level 1
Level 1

Hi frndz,

I was taking backup of IOS of all the network devices.But i noticed one thing that after few excalamation there were dots as shown below and in the attachment:-

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!

Although i verified that both the flash and the copyied file to tftp server were of same size.

Is the IOS copyied correclty ? Any another method to verify the same?

5 Replies 5

amolwaghmare
Level 1
Level 1

sorry forgot to attach file--Here it is

Hi,

You need the MD5 Signature of the IOS. If you don't have it from the download site, you can run the following in the router.

Router# verify flash:ios_file_name.bin

Copy the "CCO Hash MD5" Signature to a Notepad

Download an MD5 checker from internet http://www.fastsum.com/press/md5-checker.php and use it to check the IOS uploaded in your TFTP server. Copy the MD5 Signature to a Notepad

Compare the MD5 Signature from the router and your PC.

Regards,

Dandy

Amol

Dandy gives good advice about how to verify that the copied IOS is ok. I would like to supplement his comments with a comment about TFTP. The dots that you see during the transfer indicate that 1 (or more) packets were dropped during transmission. TFTP has a mechanism to recognize when dropped packets occur and to retransmit the missing packets. If the TFTP copy ran to the end and did not generate any error messages, then it is likely that the copy was ok and that the IOS file on the server is valid.

Following the advice given by Dandy will allow you to be very sure. But the presence of some dots during the TFTP transfer is not necessarily a reason to suspect that you wound up with a corrupt IOS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks guys it was very useful especially Dandy suggestion :- 5 points for him

unable to assign points? some fault here i think.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card