Suggestions for Disaster Recovery Site

Unanswered Question
Jan 22nd, 2008
User Badges:

If you have a separate physical site from you Main network site for Disaster Recovery. Which is currently connected via fiber with via a couple of gig ports. What would be the best way to have that site failover to the Disaster Recovery site without any intervention from us the engineers?

Thanks in advance

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Danilo Dy Tue, 01/22/2008 - 07:17
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Hi,

This depends on the following;

- What services are in the production site that is replicated in DR site.

- What is the design between production and DR site. i.e. How the end user currently accessing the services in the production site and how will it be accessing the services in the DR site

- What is the lead time for the services to be up in the DR site. Take note of the databases and applications.

If the lead time is short, the services in DR site will definitely be using different IP Address from the production site and just need the applications and databases to be up. For Example: For Web services, the changes is mostly done in DNS - make sure a Slave DNS which is sync with SOA/Master from production site is present in DR site and promote it to SOA/Master.

Regards,

Dandy

dalephillips Tue, 01/22/2008 - 18:56
User Badges:

thanks for the reply...the DR site is already there and connected by fiber but I would like it to have automatic failover.

My network has 2 6509's at the headquarters site, each of them have a port channel running into a 3750G switch. The 3750G switch runs across about 10 miles of fiber to the Disaster recovery site into another 3750G switch. That switch then has 2 port channels, 1 each connecting to 4507A and 4507B switches at the Disaster recovery site. I'm trying to think of the best way to have this fail over in event of disaster.

Thanks

Jon Marshall Tue, 01/22/2008 - 07:44
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Hi

In addition to Dandy's comments.

Your question covers a very large subject and the best way for you is very dependant on network topology/application requirements/business requirements etc. A good place to start with this would be to have a look at the following document which gives a good outline of the different types of failover between sites

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns376/c649/ccmigration_09186a0080909cb5.pdf

This document is part of Cisco SRND (Solution Reference Network Designs). If you go to

http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd you can view all the docs. The ones you will probably be particularly interested in are the data centre ones.

HTH

Jon

dalephillips Tue, 01/22/2008 - 18:54
User Badges:

Thanks for the help the first link you posted seems to be broke right now but I will try it later to see if I can get there.

My network has 2 6509's at the headquarters site, each of them have a port channel running into a 3750G switch. The 3750G switch runs across about 10 miles of fiber to the Disaster recovery site into another 3750G switch. That switch then has 2 port channels, 1 each connecting to 4507A and 4507B switches at the Disaster recovery site. I'm trying to think of the best way to have this fail over in event of disaster.

Thanks

Actions

This Discussion