cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New wireless setup

musumani.woods
Level 1
Level 1

I am settign up a wireless infastructure for our corporate headquaters and 2 remote sites. Each site will have its own controller and I plan on using 1250 aironet aps (unified). I also plan on using ACS to implement 802.1x security and WCS to manage the controllers I have. The question I had was do I need an ACS and WCS for each site, all can I authenticate and manage all my system from corporate headquarters.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

One ACS, One WCS, and multiple WLCs.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jordanperks
Level 1
Level 1

You only need one WCS box. It will be able to control all of your controllers. Same goes for ACS. Yes, you can do everything from corporate headquarters. Also, how many APs will be at each remote site? It may not be necessary to deploy WLCs at each location.

appox 12

in that case you are right in deploying a WLC at each site.

One thing to keep in mind that I like to do in my remote locations is, assuming you are using PoE to power the APs, make sure you note the switchport that you have them plugged into in case they ever get hung and WCS/WLC cannot talk to them. A simple shut/no shut on the port will reboot it and that nearly always corrects my issue.

When I 1st deployed the wireless network I didn't document very well and when one got hung up and I couldn't see it in the CDP neighbor table I had to call users and ask them to do me favors. Much easier to do it myself.

had one more question. I am building this to scale with the default network being 802.11n. Using the same access points, can i have multiple wireless vlans i.e a vlan for guest, vlan for certain applications.

Yes. You can have multiple WLANs being broadcast out of each AP. We have four being broadcast out of each of our APs.

so the final take is one acs and multi wcs for my install

One ACS, One WCS, and multiple WLCs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card