Assistance with Aironet 1200 (AP231G) please.

Unanswered Question
Jan 22nd, 2008

Greetings and thanks for taking a look. I'll try to list as much info as I can here, but I'm a rank noob when it comes to working with Cisco products, so please forgive me if I have misunderstood something.

Okay, I'm working with an Aironet AP1231G-A-K9. It's of unknown age, though I was the first to open the box and ap:version shows 12.3(2)JA4 and a date of 6/13/05. It had issues right out of the box with not operating the way that Cisco seemed to think it would (never obtained an IP address from my DHCP server). I purchased the DB9->RJ45 cable and have hyperterminal up and running.

I have managed to update the IOS software to both c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA2 and JEA3 and log into the browser interface.

But at this point, if I reboot the AP, it fails again. It fails in the exact same manor as when I first discovered. It appears as though it's missing a Startup Configuration File, and yet I don't see (or possibly understand) a download. All of the links to Cisco software I see talks about up/downloading it and tweaking it if you have another AP.. but I don't No where have I seen mention of having to create one from scratch.

So, what am I missing folks?

Thanks very much for any assistance you can offer. In the mean time, I'll go back to searching the forums, cisco documentation and google.

Brian M

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
jordanperks Tue, 01/22/2008 - 10:42

Is it an Autonomous or Lightweight verion? If it is a Lightweight version you need a Wireless Controller for it to operate.

brianM_FCLS Tue, 01/22/2008 - 10:58

That I don't know (but now see the importance of knowing). What I can't find is how to determine this information. I have never seen a LWAAP prompt, and that would seem to be an indicator. Nor have I done the upgrade to Lightweight.

jordanperks Tue, 01/22/2008 - 11:19

Are you able to capture the text while you are in the command line during the reboot and send it to me?

brianM_FCLS Tue, 01/22/2008 - 12:35

Xmodem file system is available.

flashfs[0]: 149 files, 7 directories

flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 7741440

flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 4948992

flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 2792448

flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 13 seconds.

Reading cookie from flash parameter block...done.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:17:0e:51:00:3b

Initializing ethernet port 0...

Reset ethernet port 0...

Reset done!

ethernet link up, 100 mbps, full-duplex

Ethernet port 0 initialized: link is up

That's what I get with ethernet attached, and this is without:

auto-negotiation takes 10000 milli-seconds to complete

ERROR: timeout waiting for auto-negotiation to complete

ERROR: fail to bring ethernet link up

The system has been encountered an error initializing

ethernet port. You may need to check hardware

The system is ignoring the error and continuing boot.

If you interrupt the system boot process, the following

commands will reinitialize ethernet, tftp, and finish

loading the operating system software:

In both cases, I have no prompt, and no way to enter any information. To get to that point I have to leave the ethernet unplugged and hold the mode button for 20+ seconds. Then I get the "ap" prompt.

rob.huffman Mon, 01/28/2008 - 16:49

Hi Brian,

Can you try this method?

Reloading the Access Point/Bridge Image (Edited to fit)

Using the CLI

Step 1 Open the CLI using a Telnet session or a connection to the access point console port.

Step 2 Reboot the access point by removing power and reapplying power.

Step 3 Let the access point boot until it begins to inflate the image. When you see these lines on the CLI, press Esc:

Loading "flash:/c1310-k9w7-mx.v122_13_ja.20031010/c1310-k9w7-mx.v122_13_ja.20031010"

Note Depending on the terminal emulation software you are using, you may have to press Esc twice to access the boot loader.

Step 4 When the bridge: command prompt appears, enter the set command to assign an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to the access point.

Note You must use upper-case characters when you enter the IP-ADDR, NETMASK, and DEFAULT_ROUTER options with the set command.

Your entries might look like this example:

ap: set IP_ADDR

ap: set NETMASK

Step 5 Enter the tftp_init command to prepare the access point for TFTP.

ap: tftp_init

Step 6 Enter the tar command to load and inflate the new image from your TFTP server. The command must include this information:

the -xtract option, which inflates the image when it is loaded

the IP address of your TFTP server

the directory on the TFTP server that contains the image

the name of the image

the destination for the image (the access point Flash)

Your entry might look like this example:

ap: tar -xtract tftp:// flash:

Step 7 When the display becomes full the CLI pauses and displays --MORE--. Press the spacebar to continue.

extracting info (229 bytes)

c1310-k9w7-mx.122-15.JA1/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

c1310-k9w7-mx.122-15.JA1/html/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

c1310-k9w7-mx.122-15.JA1/html/level1/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

extracting c1310-k9w7-mx.122-15.JA1/html/level1/appsui.js (558 bytes)

-- MORE --

if you do not press the spacebar to continue, the process eventually times out and the access point stops inflating the image.

Step 8 Enter the set BOOT command to designate the new image as the image that the access point uses when it reboots. The access point creates a directory for the image that has the same name as the image, and you must include the directory in the command. Your entry might look like this example:

ap: set BOOT flash:/c1310-k9w7-mx.122-15.JA1/c1310-k9w7-mx.122-15.JA1

Step 9 Enter the set command to check your bootloader entries.

ap: set

Step 10 Enter the boot command to reboot the access point. When the access point reboots, it loads the new image.

ap: boot

Hope this helps!

brianM_FCLS Mon, 01/28/2008 - 18:07

Thanks Rob, that works for getting the AP up and running... until I reboot (pull the power to move to a live environment). Then it goes right back to the above captures. No boot, no prompt, just sitting there (I let it run over the weekend with no change, just to assure myself that I wasn't being impatient).

The odd part is that it Never even tries to boot an image. I have to force it to boot from within the CLI. This is where the problem seems to be... no boot image. In the GUI/Web interface, it appears as though there's a way to load boot images, and mine says there is NO boot image... and I can't find info (discussion in the forums nor Cisco authored articles) about this particular issue. :(

Thank you for your assistance though.

rob.huffman Tue, 01/29/2008 - 06:16

Hi Brian,

Maybe we can reset this to defaults using this method instead;

Using the MODE button

You can use the MODE button on the access point to reload the access point image file from an active Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server on your network or on a PC connected to the access point Ethernet port.

Note If your access point experiences a firmware failure or a corrupt firmware image, indicated by three red LED indicators, you must reload the image from a connected TFTP server.

Note This process resets all configuration settings to factory defaults, including passwords, WEP keys, the access point IP address, and SSIDs.

Follow the steps below to reload the access point image file:

Step 1 The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of to

Step 2 Make sure the PC contains the access point image file (c1100-k9w7-tar.default) in the TFTP server folder and the TFTP server is activated. For additional information, refer to the "Obtaining the Access Point Image File" and "Obtaining TFTP Server Software" sections.

Step 3 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 4 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 5 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 6 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 7 Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 8 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web interface, the Telnet interface, or IOS commands.

Hope this helps!

brianM_FCLS Mon, 02/04/2008 - 10:26

Thanks again Rob, but I have done that as well (sorry, should have listed that in my initial post, I did search through the forums and Cisco site for 5~7 days before posting, and tried everything I could find that applied).

Anyway, that also works 100% right up until the unit is restarted. At that point I'm back to my original starting point.

Will you take a look at your AP, in the web interface, under System Software -> System Configuration -> Current Startup Config File... do you have anything listed?

Here's a screenshot of mine:

I can get the AP up and running fairly quickly ... boot with the ethernet disconnected and hold the MODE button till the center light goes red. Then plug in the ethernet and use the BOOT command at the ap: prompt. That's all that's needed... but it doesn't occur on its own. I'm certain that this startup config file is the issue, but have nothing to test with. :/

Thanks again,

brianM_FCLS Mon, 02/04/2008 - 10:49

I think I've found a solution.

Products Affected

Cisco Aironet Access Point (AP) 1210 and 1230

Problem Description

Cisco Aironet AP1210s and 1230s were built with a pre-release version of bootloader. The bootloader should be upgraded to released version for optimal performance.

One defect with the unreleased boot loader is that, if the AP has no Ethernet connection at boot time, the boot process will abort and the AP will stay at the boot loader prompt. Manual intervention is then required (type the boot command at the AP console) to force the AP to continue to boot. This is particularly an issue for APs configured as repeaters which normally have no Ethernet connection.

Cisco Aironet AP 1210s and 1230s were shipped from the factory with an unsupported boot loader image and need to be upgraded to the released version of boot loader.

Problem Symptoms

The output of the show version command on an AP with the unsupported boot loader will contain the following text:

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1200 boot loader

BOOTLDR: C1200 Boot Loader (C1200-BOOT-M), Version 12.2 [BLD-argon 102]

Follow this procedure to upgrade the boot loader:

1.Place the bootloader image in the proper directory on a TFTP server.

2.Connect to the AP console. Once connected, use the enable command to enter privileged mode.

3.Upgrade the boot loader by downloading the new boot loader image from the TFTP server to the AP boot sector using the following command: copy tftp://ip address/path/c1200-boot-m.122-8.JA bs: where ip address is the address of the TFTP server and path is the path to the directory where the boot loader image is located.

4.Once the boot loader upgrade is complete, type reload at the AP console prompt to reboot the AP and verify that it boots using the upgraded boot loader.

The correct image can be downloaded from

I followed those directions (found doing more searches), and the AP will now boot itself unatended... meaning I don't have to use Hyperterminal to reach the ap: prompt to use the Boot command. I'm going to cycle it a few more times today before attempting to put it into the live situation that I was trying to prepare it for.

Thanks for the assistance, I very much appreciate it. And maybe this will help someone else down the road.

rob.huffman Tue, 02/05/2008 - 06:03

Hi Brian,

Fantastic job! I have never heard of this at all. 5 points to you for this great follow-up and posting this to help others :)

Thanks again,

This Discussion