cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC AP-Manager Interace

remco.gussen
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering why it is no longer possible to create a "backup ap-manager" interface in WLC version 4.2. In the older versions, this was possible. The AP-manager interface was linked to one Distribution System Port.

Is the ap-manager interface now linked to the logical LAG channel ?

Gr.

Remco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Remco,

I am not saying you are wrong but that is not possible. If LAG is enabled you cannot configure interfaces for any port in specific.

The only way it is possible is when you enable LAG and do not reload the controller, that time you may be allowed to configure different physical DS port but when you reload the controller it all maps to port 29.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Remco,

You can still configure multiple ap-manager interfaces on controller in 4.2 code and map them to different physical interfaces on controller.

This is not possible in WiSM and 3750 integrated controller because they are connected to backplane with LAG configuration. Also multiple ap-manager interface is not possible on 2xxx platform.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur

Can you tell me where you can find that configuration option ? In my opinion, it is nog there anymore. It is not displayed on the ap-manager interface options or by the new interface config options..

Gr.

Remco

Hi Remco,

What you havr to do is go to GUI page where you create interfaces. Create a new interface example "ap-manager2" and assign same subnet ip address what you have assigned to first original ap-manager.

Then while configuring port number assign port number 2 and also there is a check box where it wil be written as "ENABLE DYNAMIC AP MANAGEMENT" just check that box and you are done.

Also connect that physical port 2 to the switch and then you will also see that whenever your APs join controller they will load balance on different ap-manager interfaces.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur

I'm talking about WLC version 4.2..... Please check the attachment and see what is happening..

The AP-Manager is connected to the logical port (LAG)... There is no option to assign the ap-manager to a specific Distribution system port..

Gr.

Remco

Hi Remco,

Can you confirm if this is WiSM module which is inserted in Cat6500 or WLC in 3750? Becase the attachment shows LAG is enabled which is default in WISM and 3750 integreated conttoller and if this is individual 4404/4402 then LAG is enabled on controller. If LAG is enabled than it is binded to port 29 which is logical port and you cannot specify individual physical port.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur

I've got three 4402 controllers. LAG is enabled indeed.

Version 4.0 and 4.1.701?? were different. There you could choose for a ap-manager and a backup manager and link them to a physical DSP port..

Gr.

Remco

Hi Remco,

I am not saying you are wrong but that is not possible. If LAG is enabled you cannot configure interfaces for any port in specific.

The only way it is possible is when you enable LAG and do not reload the controller, that time you may be allowed to configure different physical DS port but when you reload the controller it all maps to port 29.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card