cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Want External Phone Number Mask to say "Unknown Caller" Is this Possible?

DMobley1022
Level 1
Level 1

When a user dials an external # is it possible to have it show on Caller ID as "Unknown Caller"?

I have deleted the # that is currently in the External Phone Number Mask, and left it blank, but the Coporate# now shows when he dials out.

This is something that only needs to be setup for 1 user, not the entire company.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have ISDN ? And do you have H.323 or MGCP to the GW ?

From the CM when I pull up our Gateway it says:

Device Type:H.323 Gatweay and then after click on the gateway it says protocol H.225

I don't think we have ISDN, but I could be wrong, I will check for sure and reply back.

No. We are using T1 and now I've been informed they don't want anything to show on the caller ID, they don't want a # they don't want "Unknown Caller". Is this possible?

There will always be some number/name displayed. If you do not put in a number in the outside mask, the number/name associated with the smart trunk will be displayed.

You might talk to your local phone company and see if they can restrict the numbers or a single phone number. If they can do that on even one number, you can put it into the mask for all of your phones.

Two other problems you might have with this. One, a lot of people (I do) block calls from phones that do not display a phone numbers.

Another problem you are going to run into is when someone calls "911" by accident. The Police/fire will try to call back to the number for the smart trunk. And since most often is not on a phone. They will send cars or trucks to the address listed for those smart trunks. Usually the billing address for your company.

Ask you telco what is the code to block caller-id to be shown. Like *67*, etc.

There are configurations to prefix this code for all calls, for calls made by certain extensions, or on a per-call basis.

Also try to make you client understand that something will always show, as they do not control the working of phone system.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: