cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace stacked switch

mtaylorcwc
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for info on how to replace one switch within a stack of 4. I've seen a statement in the 3750 data sheet about how the new switch will be configured automatically, but I'd like to have a step-by-step guide on how to do this.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

It really is quite easy. I would suggest the following step by step procedure:

- check the version of code running in the new/replacement switch against the version running in the stack. If the version is different load the version into the new switch that is running in the stack.

- check the template configured on the new switch. If it is different than the template on the stack configure the new switch to match the template of the stack.

- power down the switch to be replaced.

- un-cable the switch to be replaced.

- cable up the new switch.

- power up the new switch.

- watch the new switch join the stack.

This is the plan that I followed when I had to replace a switch in a 3750 stack and it worked well for me.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Does anything have to be done to the new switch, like run the initial setup routine, or can it be installed right out of the box. That is assuming the versions match.

Michael

You do not need to run initial setup. Assuming that the versions and template match then the new switch can be right out of the box.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

OK, thanks

Sorry to beat this subject to death, but I have one more question. The stack in question has 3 different 3750 models. It's got 2 3750G-24PS, 1 3750G-24TS and 1 3750G-24TS-1U. I've got a spare that is a 3750G-24TS-1U. The docs say if it's the same model number it will take on the configuration of the replaced switch, but what about trying to replace a POE switch or the non-1U switch. The new one obviously won't supply power but will it still assume the stack member number?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco