cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM help no longer works

dmitry
Level 1
Level 1

DFM 3.0.2 (Sol 10) had a working help link up until about 1 week ago. No SW was upgraded, just occational devices addition / removal from DFM device management. When the link is clicked, a new browser window opens with the error sign in the low left corner (javascript "Object Expected" error for http://server name:1741/help/index.html?dfm_newui/usenotif_con_event_set.html)

Trying to access the DFM portion of the Help from CS gives an incorrect hyper link error (the full screenshot is in the attachement)

This problem existed in the CW 2.6 version but accordsing to the release notes it was fixed.

I need to get our help desk to start using the CW and the working Help is essential

Thanks for any help

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have no problems launching help for DFM either from within DFM, or doing a search for "bulk" through the DFM documents from Common Services.

All the help documents for DFM can be found on the file system under NMSROOT\htdocs\help\dfm_newui. Does that directory still exist? On Windows, DFM 3.0.2, that directory should contain 284 files and 1 directory. Its size should be 6938076 bytes.

Sorry, for some reason, I read Windows. For SOLARIS, the help is found under /opt/CSCOpx/htdocs/help/dfm_newui. The directory size should be 7110656 bytes (or 13888 as seen with du -s). There should be 243 files and 1 directory under here.

All help is gone from there, only javascript files left:

bash-3.00# ls -l

total 106

-rw-r----- 1 casuser casusers 4350 Jan 5 2007 banner.html

-rw-r----- 1 casuser casusers 1067 Dec 18 18:20 config.js

-rw-r----- 1 casuser casusers 3584 Dec 18 18:20 expand.js

drwxr-x--- 2 casuser casusers 512 Dec 18 17:40 images

-rw-r----- 1 casuser casusers 1896 Dec 18 18:20 page.js

-rw-r----- 1 casuser casusers 39061 Dec 18 18:20 toc.js

bash-3.00#

bash-3.00# du -s

108 .

bash-3.00# pwd

/opt/CSCOpx/htdocs/help/dfm_newui

bash-3.00#

There are no backup agents running on the server or any other cron driven software or daemon that could have removed the files from here

Could this be due to one of the purge jobs taking on a wrong folder?

No. The most likely cause of this (assuming help was working under DFM 3.0.2 previously) is that someone deleted the .html and .css files under this directory. These directories are read-only for the most part since they contain static data. That is, they are not part of the backup or any job.

Interesting to note is banner.html is not a file that should be found in this directory. This should have been removed when you upgraded to LMS 3.0.1.

If help never worked under DFM 3.0.2, this points to a bad upgrade. The DFM help package was not properly re-installed.

100% positive it worked in DFM 3.0.2 (used it to find out how to bulk unmanage the IPs after your tip in the earlier post).

Can I just extract these files (given that nothing else is broken) from the Dec Upgrade file and put them in the folder?

Assuming the CSCOdfmgr package is otherwise properly installed, then yes, you can extract the files. You should do so using a method that will preserve file attributes (e.g. cp -p). Also, the ownership of all files should be casuser:casusers with 0640 perms.

Thanks for this advice, will try. I went through the BUG DB on CCO and looks like there is an open BUG on this: CSCsh33224 (missed it the first time since by default the BUG tool shows sev of 1,2,3 and this BUG is 4)

Regards

This bug is not applicable to your situation. In your case, all help files are genuinely missing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco