cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is a 2811 big enough to efficiently utilize 6Mb MPLS?

jamesek
Level 1
Level 1

We are beginning to install MPLS. We would like to install MPLS over a DS3 between a 7206 and a 2811. I am concerned that we will see performance issues with the 2811. Any ideas? Is there anyone doing this?

6 Replies 6

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

Here you have a link about L2TP that could be what you're trying to do:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns588/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a008017fa6e.shtml

For the 7200, their current IOS do not support L2TPv3.You need to move to 12.4 or 12.0S( later than 12.0(21)S ).

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

The Product Sheet says that 2811 supports 1.536 Mbps in Process Switching and 61.44 Mbps with CEF Switching mode.

But I would still suggest that you should go for a higher model to accommodate any further upgrade in bandwidth.

Cheers

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi James

Agree with Sultan, and below is the router performance sheet, as for the 2811 we have used it as a small PE in some situations, and i think we have utilized around 8M BW with no performance issues, but again as Sultan has pointed out you must consider the scalability issue.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A full DS3 might be a bit much for a 2811.

Had the question whether we could connect one as a CE to a fractional DS3 providing 10 Mbps. Before deployment, found we could push about 20 Mbps through the box where it hit 100% CPU. After deployment, found it works well on the 10 Mbps hitting about 50% CPU. (This seems in the same ballpark with the other posters.)

Hi NetPro,

Does 2811 support DS3? I think, 3825 support frac and 3845 full DS3. Could someone confirm this please?

Regards,

-SA

I setup a 2851 with a frac DS3. I think you have to go to a 3800 for Full.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: