Unanswered Question
Jan 23rd, 2008

Hi there, i've currently been studying for the CCNA and I'm enjoying the challenge but i'm not sure whether to go for and study the CCNA complete package or take the route of doing the ICND1 then the ICND2. Is there much overlap between the 2?

Has anybody done the ICND1 and ICND2 and wiched they just took the CCNA? if so why?

I planning on purchasing my training materials this weekend but not sure what to go for, whether its a CCNA study guide or ICND1 etc....

If anyone can provide any inforamtion on this that would be great!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dbeare Wed, 01/23/2008 - 07:09

I went the single test route and am glad that I did. The material between the ICND1 and ICND2 really grows and feeds off of each other, so it doesn't feel like you're having to absorb twice the material. It also felt great to get 1 test finished and have my CCNA, rather than taking 1 and having to go right back to preparing for a second test. I figure I put in probably 3 solid months of studying and lab work and was ready for the 640-802. You need to learn all of the material anyways, so you might as well learn it all at once!

Ironically enough though, there is no way that I will take the composite BSCI + BCMSN test. I'm about a third of the way through my first BSCI book, and I think I've had to learn more than for all of the CCNA. But it is tons of fun learning all of this new stuff!

grichardson661 Wed, 01/23/2008 - 10:02

Yeah i've been thinking about going the single test route! I've found some really decent books for the 640-802, one of them is written by Todd Lammle, here's the link, what do you think -

I've gave my self till summer to get this certification, its exciting stuff! I've studied creating custom subnets, IP classes and its going good! Working on the OSI model now. Looking forward to getting into the labs, just learning the theory first!

dbeare Wed, 01/23/2008 - 10:25

I used the Sybex book by Todd L. that you linked to, along with the Cisco Press ICND1 and ICND2 books and was able to pass with no problem. I also set up a small lab at home for some hands on experience. Best of luck!

jrensink78 Wed, 01/23/2008 - 10:44

I earned my CCNA using the 2 test method. Although I took it under the last revision and not the current.

There are pros and cons of both methods. Taking the one test is cheaper and may end up taking less time overall. But it's more to have to remember for one test.

Breaking the cert into 2 tests allows you to focus on fewer concepts at a time to be tested on.

If you are coming into this with a good background of basic networking skills, then going for the one test method shouldn't be a lot to handle. But if you are pretty green when it comes to networking, you may find the separation of topics helpful.

grichardson661 Wed, 01/23/2008 - 11:47

Cheers for that! i am a new comer when it comes to the Cisco stuff so i might be best sticking to the ICND1 and then the ICND2, not sure! I'll have a think... this is a tricky one! :-)

dbeare Wed, 01/23/2008 - 13:26

If you are new to the material, I also highly recommend taking a boot camp or some sort of hands on training class. I was new to everything, so I kicked off my training with a 1 week class on the old ICND material. Unfortunately for myself, the new material was announced, and I had to learn some new things, but the classroom experience was well worth it. Whether you go the 1 test or 2 tests route, some hands on instruction goes a long ways. Although, if you can't get your employer to foot the bill, it may be too much to shell out on your own, as most classes run a few thousand dollars. Best of luck in your studies!

grichardson661 Tue, 01/29/2008 - 00:23

Hi Clive,

Thanks for this, I'll add you to my MSN list tonight.

I did go ahead and purchase the Cisco CCENT (ICND1) Official Exam Certification Guide 'Second Addition' this weekend and the training is going pretty well! The book is great! I think taking the exam is stages will suite my fine as am very new to the Cisco world.

This Discussion