Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS and system resources

I am running a pilot with WCS 4.2.62.0 (windows) and one WLC 4402 running 4.2.61.

The WCS is running is a vmware instance and my vmware administrator have told me that the WCS is very system resource heavy.

I have not looked further into the problem, e.g. if one process is hanging or something similar.

But have anybody else seen this and maybe can give me a hint where to look?

Br,

Steffen

3 Replies 3

da.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

I won't be much help to you on this, but I just yesterday moved my WCS over to VM Ware and upgraded to 4.1.83.0 to support it. We were having issues with 4.0.97.0 so I went ahead and upgraded. Our WiSM's are still running 4.0.217.0 just because it is very stable in the WiSM world. We are thinking hard about the upgrade to 4.2.61.0 just because we can support 16 VLAN's.

Anyway, from a WCS document on CCO, I found this statement...

"Note: When running WCS on a dedicated VmWare server, these minimum hardware requirements are necessary based on WCS high-end server hardware specifications:

- Quad CPU running at 3.15 GHz

- 8 GBs RAM

- 200 GB hard drive"

I took it to our server admin and he was telling me that he thought this to be odd due to the fact that Windows Server 2003 won't recognize any amount of RAM over 4 Gig. So we had boost this VM box to 4 Gig. It seems to be running fine, but slow. Our stand alone server would really throw the pages up, but this takes a little time on every page request.

How are the latest versions of each running?

Your server administrator is only partially correct on the RAM limit for MS Windows 2K3. The 4GB RAM limit only applies to MS Windows 2K3 Standard Edition. MS Windows Server Enterprise R2 Edition will support up to 64GB of RAM and Datacenter R2 will support 128GB.

The other thing to note is that the requirements you stated above are for the VMWare ESX server. VMWare is a Linux platform which has different hardware support parameters from Windows.

We have it installed on a Windows 2003 Standard server:

Dell PowerEdge 1800

2.8 Xenon

2gb RAM

System Drive: 55gb Free

Data Drive: 170gb Free

WCS v 4.2.97.0

This software has been causing us problems since we installed it.

It was first installed by a vendor on our Terminal Server. Spiked utilization ensued...

I moved it to the box mentioned above in the specs. Same behavior.

Seems we can restart the service and reclaim resources, but this is not what I want.

Any one else experiencing these types of issues?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: