Helpful
Replies

CSS 11501 STP disable option

inayathulla1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configure command:"

"bridge spanning-tree disable" on CSS but still i see my CSS acting as a root switch in the topology. Could some one tell me how do i completely remove the CSS from the STP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

this output is the default.

You can't change it.

You can see the state is disabled, and by defaut we set our mac address as the root bridge.

So, all this is correct.

You need to look at the remote switches attached to the CSS to see if everything is ok there.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if you use the 'show bridge status' on the css after disabling spanning tree, it will always say it is the root bridge since without STP all ports are forwarding.

You need to check the status of STP outside the CSS and normally the CSS shouldn't be the root.

Finally, a good advise when using STP is to manually select the STP by setting a weight on the device you want to be the root.

Gilles.

Hi Giles,

Thanks for the reply.

As per your update now the css is not acting in the STP thats the reason all ports are in forwading state, Now i need to check with the other switches connected to the CSS is that right ?

Giles,

Also i dont want to see this in the show bridge status i see couple of vlans(for ex: i have pasted the output) acting as the root but i agree with you that after disabling the option it will still show but i would like to know can you tell the what do i need to do if i dont want this messages to appear when i issue this command.

:CWdevCSS01# sh bridge status

VLAN5 STP State: Disabled

VLAN5: Root Max Age: 6 Root Hello Time: 1 Root Fwd Delay: 4

Designated Root: 80-00-00-14-1c-28-63-7d

Bridge ID: 80-00-00-14-1c-28-63-7d

Root Port Desg

Port State Designated Bridge Designated Root Cost Cost Port

---- ----- ----------------------- ----------------------- ---- ---- ----

1/2-5 Fwd 80-00-00-14-1c-28-63-7d 80-00-00-14-1c-28-63-7d 0 4 8002

this output is the default.

You can't change it.

You can see the state is disabled, and by defaut we set our mac address as the root bridge.

So, all this is correct.

You need to look at the remote switches attached to the CSS to see if everything is ok there.

Gilles.

Thanks Giles. I appriciate for you time spend on this.