Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE card in Cat 6509

qwertys21
Level 1
Level 1

We have a

6509 - Catalyst 6000 supervisor 2, WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE HW 4.2 FW 7.1(1) SW 12.1(19)E1a IOS and a standby supervisor card, 381K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.32768K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K). Standby has 112640K/18432K bytes of memory.

We now want to put in PoE card, what will I need to carry out on the above Switch in terms of hardware, ram, flash, software, IOS etc.? Where can I find such information on the Cisco website?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Okay, Software advisor being very slow so after checking notes

You are right. You do not have enough DRAM to run 12.2SX. You need 256Mb and you only have 128. Even with your current situation Cisco recommends 256Mb.

For the supervisor 12.17(17d)SXB which needs 32Mb flash and 256Mb DRAM.

However with the requirement for the WS-X6148A-45AF your minimum IOS is now 12.2(18)SX2.

So you need to check how big this file is because you may need more flash or use an external flash card to store the IOS on.

See this link for memory upgrade details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/release/notes/OL_4164.html#wp2561255

As for power use the link Edison gave. If you are using phones you will need to know how much power they draw (sorry i've forgotten the term) but the maximum per port will be 15W so you could use this to be on the safe side.

With the power calculator be aware of the difference between combined and redundant modes. Redundant means one power supply can power all the devices in the chassis so if it fails the other one can take over for all devices. Combined means to power all devices in chassis requires power from both supplies, obviously if you then lose a power supply you start losing devices.

Hope some of this helps.

Jon

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Do you have a particular PoE card in mind - if so can you post the part number or the type of card.

Also do you know if you are running in Native or Hybrid mode

Native = IOS on both supervisor and MSFC (you only logon once to the switch)

Hybrid = CatOS on supervisor and IOS on MSFC (you logon separately to the L2 switch part and the L3 MSFC part).

Jon

Thanks Jon

No I dont have any particular PoE in mind. I thought there was only 1 type.

We are running in native mode.

Thanks

Hi

Just to add to Edison's post. Those 2 modules are not supported with your version of IOS - see attached

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/release/notes/OL_2310.html#wp1181795

You will need to upgrade to a later release.

Jon

Thanks.

How do I find out which IOS to use?. Do we have a planner for hardware just like we do for software?

Cos I will also need to know if I have to upgrade the RAM. FLASH, boot etc.

Thanks

Each release's release notes list which modules are supported. You can also use the software advisor to build your chassis config and then cross that against compatible images.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_most_requested_tools.html

Hi

Okay as another poster suggested you can use the software advisor which will help make sure you don't order any wrong parts but it is not always bang up to date.

Without wishing to put you off you have to be careful when you order things for the 6500 because an increase in the power supplies for example might mean you need an upgraded fan tray. It can be a bit of a minefield because of this. There is nothing worse than inserting a new module and realising it isn't going to power up because you haven't accounted for the new fan tray or new power supplies - i speak from bitter experience :)

So i would strongly recommend you use the link provided. However the other way to do it is (and this is an example so you can do this in future)

Link to release notes for 6500 IOS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_release_notes_list.html

Now you should probably be looking at 12.2SX for your new IOS. So you want the second link down

"Release Notes for Cisco IOS Release 12.2SX on the Supervisor Engine 720, Supervisor Engine 32, and Supervisor Engine 2"

Click on this and then in the release notes you are looking for the Sup2 bit, the 10/100 ethernet module bit and 10/100/1000 ethernet module bit (based on Edison's modules) ie.

"Supervisor Engine 2 (CAT6000-SUP2/MSFC2, 7600-SUP2/MSFC2)" - click this and it will take you the part that gives minimum requirements for RAM, bootflash etc.

Do the same with the 10/100 and 10/100/100 Ethernet module section. With these you will need to scroll through until you find the exact module you are looking for and this will tell you the minimum IOS needed to support it.

As Edison pointed out you need to check power needed which should be on the links he gave you and you need to be aware of the type of fan needed.

Hope this makes sense. Give the software tool a go, although it can be a bit slow :) Make sure when you are filling in the slots you fill in what you have already before you add the PoE blades, you'll see what i mean.

Please feel free to come back with any other questions.

HTH

Jon

Thank you ever so much Jon. I have had a good read and a good understanding.

So this is my finding concerning my environment in the attached.

Does this mean I do not have enough DRAM (as in the bold) or I have enough DRAM as in the red.

Do I have the comparison correct?

Thanks

Here is the attached. Thanks

Hi

Could you send an output of a "sh module" + the PoE blade that you want to use and i'll have a look.

Jon

Thanks

Attached is the show mod and the PoE is WS-X6148-45AF

Thanks for your help.

Hi

Apologies - i also need

1) "sh power"

2) "sh env"

3) "sh ver"

Jon

Thanks

Here they are.

Thanks

Hi

Can you confirm that you are running Native as when i select your supervisor i only get the option to choose CatOS software.

Jon

Hi

Yes. We do not have CatOS running on the switch.

Usually with the other switch where we had hybrid, I could go into the MSFC using sess 15 or sess 16. I cannot do this on this switch. Should this prove this is a native switch?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: