cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3845 and NM1-T3/E3 configuration

zzbronski
Level 1
Level 1

The card I have is in a 3845 router. The card is a NM1-T3/E3 DS3 card that has transmit and receive coax connections. The card is in the router and the green light is on solid for enable. When I look for the interface on the router it is not there. I assume this is because there is currently no cables connected to it. I would like to get a basic configuration for this as it is being connected to AT&T for our WAN interface.

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kimble

I suspect that your problem has less to do with whether there is a cable attached and has more to do with the router not being sure what kind of interface to generate. I suggest that you configure this and see if the interface appears in the config:

card type t3 [slot#]

Since you mention AT&T I assume that it is T1 but if it were to be E1 then change the t3 to e3.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Don't forget the controller command. For example:

controller T3 1/0

Regards

Yes, thats was it. Thanks for the assistance. This is the first time I have setup this type of interface in the router.

Kimble

I am glad that our answers were able to help point you toward the solution to your issue. I assume that the rest of the configuration went ok?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, the rest of the configuration fell into place. THanks again for the assistance.

dfwest
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3845 currently with a T1 card installed and while relocating the router and it was down installed a NM-1/T3 card.  A "show diag" shows the card in slot 3 and the correct card type.  I am unable to perform either the card type or controller commands for this newly installed card.  "Card type ?" command only shows T1, E1, t1, e1 as options, not T3...  "Controller ?" command only shows T1, E1, t1, e1 as options, not T3...

Is only one active card allowed?

any suggestions?

Thank you for being specific that you have looked for the card type command and that there is not an option for your T3. My first guess at the problem would be the version of code that is running. According to Cisco documentation it requires at least  12.3(8)T to support that card. Can you tell us the specifics of the IOS image that you are running.

See this link for additional detail

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps4909/product_data_sheet09186a008010fba2.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

dfwest
Level 1
Level 1

I am running 12.4(15)T14

Thanks for the information about the version of code. Your version is certainly more recent than the code requirement. So there must be some other explanation. Would you post the output of show version and the output of show inventory?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Subeh Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For this card there will not be any t3/e3 controller rather a serial interface would get created. Check for serial3/0 or 0/3 depending on where the module is inserted. That would be your T3 interface on which you need to put IP address , service-policy etc.

Thanks
Subeh

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card