LWAPP-enabled port.

Unanswered Question
Jan 23rd, 2008
User Badges:

Believe me, this is going to be a challenging question. :)

Below is excerpted from Sybex CCNA Study Guide 6th Edition Page 715:

the controller only forwards LWAPP packets coming from an LWAPP-enabled port, which means a switch or router is required to take an LWAPP packet and forward it out as IP data to a non-LWAPP network. A mid-range switch can handle the routing.

Below is excerpted from "Deployment Guide: Cisco Mesh Networking Solution Release 3.2": A switch or router between the Cisco wireless LAN controller and the RAP is required because Cisco wireless LAN controllers do not forward Ethernet traffic coming from an LWAPP-enabled port.

Pay attention to the lines: "forwards LWAPP packets coming from an LWAPP-enabled port", and "do not forward Ethernet traffic coming from an LWAPP-enabled port".

My first question would be what is the definition for "LWAPP-enabled port"? What is it? Where is it? By knowing this, I think I can understand the sentences. :)

Additionally, can someone eleborate more about why switch or routing is required for routing wireless data for me to have better visualization?

I have used Google and Wikipedia but no light. Hope can find some light here. Thanks in advanced. :)

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 01/29/2008 - 11:11
User Badges:

LWAPP enabled port is nothing but Ethernet port through which LWAPP traffic is received. To differentiate it from the service port it is mentioned as LWAPP enabled port. Job of controller is to strip the 802.11 headers and attach the ethernet header. Then again from ethernet header to 802.11 wireless header on its way back to the wireless client. Refer URL http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1050745 for more info.

Actions

This Discussion