Views
Helpful
Replies

Missed/placed calls information on phone with share lines

pc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Is there a way to restrict the missed/placed calls information to the primary line only on phones with shared lines configured?

What happen is the secretary's phone has line appearance of her boss and the boss also has line appearance of the secretary. their phones share the same missed calls and placed calls information. For privacy reasons, is there a way to limit these to the primary line on the phone only?

I am running ccm4.3/Unity 5 and 7965 phones.

Thanks!

11 Replies 11

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Philip,

Good question! Sadly, this behaviour with the "Missed Calls" cannot be changed. This Call History is automatically stored on the phone anytime a call is presented to it (even momentarily).

This is a bit of a pain for our "Shared Line" users as well :( One thing that does mitigate this somewhat is that when scrolling through the "Missed Calls" list, when a number in the list is highlighted you will see;

On xxxx (where xxxx is the actual number that the call came in on, this is breifly displayed right before the Time and Date info)

So,if the 7961 had the following lines;

Line 1 - aaaa

Line 2 - wwww (Shared)

Line 3 - xxxx (Shared)

Line 4 - cccc (Shared)

You could identify when the Missed Call was for aaaa,wwww,xxxx or cccc by looking at the info;

Missed Call from xxx-yyy-ssss

On - cccc (The call was intended for cccc)

Today at 6:53AM

It took awhile for our users to get used to looking at this info to see which line the

"Missed Call" was really intended for.

Now,this is not so much of an issue for our users, but does not address the Privacy concerns.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob.

This is a big Privacy concern for this particular company. The right way should be displaying missed/placed calls information for the primary line only since everyone has their own extensions anyway.

Hi Philip,

I agree with you completely!

Rob

Sorry if I jump in this, but I think the meaning itself of "shared line" implies that anyone that has the line can see who is calling, during or after the call.

If you do not want people to do this, create an additional line and assign it to the phone you want, then lock it with EM or a third-party add-on.

Hey Paolo,

No Worries, you can jump in anytime :) I don't disagree with you at all that there are many ways around this, but not simple or straight forward ones. In most cases"shared" means "shared" but not one.

When the Boss wants his Admin person to have his line on their phone so that they can screen calls etc. and also wants his line on his phone (thus the Missed Calls and Privacy issue). I have had this same discussion with many people in our organization and they hate this functionality. You can setup IPMA which is really probably the best design for this relationship, but it would be even better if the Missed Calls was only associated with the "Prime Line".

Sort of one of those "nice to have" features that may be literally impossible to build. So for now it's an either/or scenario :)

Take care my friend, I hope this rambling makes some sense ;)

Rob

No rambling, a nice discussion instead.

Sorry, I don't even know what IPMA :)

The thing I fail to understand, is how one can claim that privacy is granted when incoming calls are displayed to all phones with number (and name if available), but then the list is available only to "prime phone".

If the concern is that janitors and vigilance can peek into the list after hours, either do clean the list (manually or automatically) before leaving, or lock access to all phones where such sensitive lists may be present.

Hey Paolo,

You are right, Privacy cannot really be expected in a "Shared Line" type setup. This is really just wishful thinking on our part :) As with most people we want the best of both worlds (which usually isn't possible, but, of coarse, we want it anyways). It's never been a "show stopper" when explained the way you so thoughfully have here.

Here is the scoop on IPMA - Cisco IP Manager Assistant

Cisco CallManager Features and Services Guide, Release 4.1(3)

Cisco IP Manager Assistant With Shared Line Support

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803f3ad2.html#wp1071321

Cisco IP Manager Assistant With Proxy Line Support

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803f3ab3.html

Take care,

Rob

I beg to differ. Shared line does not mean shared life. This kind of features should be limited to the user's primary line only.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs.

Let me ask a different but related question. Is there a way to disable missed/placed calls information on a lobby phone?

Let me ask a different but related question. Is there a way to disable missed/placed calls information on a lobby phone?

Hi..

You can point the Directories button to a different URL on a per phone basis..

Technically if you were really keen I suppose you could write a custom XML service to display only the call logs you want :)

Cheers,

Tim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: