cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS 11506 Default "Site is down" Page

joecunningham
Level 1
Level 1

The Company that I work for needs to bring down our servers for some hardware upgrades for a period of time. Is it possible to configure the CSS so that it will display an HTML page any time that it cannot find one of the servers that it should be looking for? If it is possible, how would I go about doing that,or where would I look for directions on setting that up? Thank you very much for any help provided.

13 Replies 13

Diego Vargas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joe,

There is no way to have the CSS responding with a page saying that the servers are out for maintenance, but you can configure a sorry server and have the CSS send the requests to a server that will answer with the sorry page that you need.

So all the servers on a given content rule are out for maintenance the sorry server will get the traffic and answer the sorry page.

This is the sorry server configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps789/products_configuration_example09186a0080093de8.shtml

Hope it helps!!

Thanks! That gives me all the information that I needed.

Thanks again. I have a quick question about setting up the Sorry server. I saw the information in the document that you gave me in regards to verifying the configuration, but I am being asked if there is anyway to test the sorry server without bringing down the active servers, I am guessing that their is not, but I thought I would ask. Thank you.

Well, there is no way for the CSS to send traffic to the sorry server if all other services are up on that content rule but if you would like to make sure that traffic balanced to the sorry server would work you can create a dummy content rule with a dummy VIP a add that service as a normal service instead of sorry server.

Hope it helps!!

That's what I figured. Thanks again.

Another question, we've brought down our content servers and the sorry server is sending out the sorry page that we have set up. I added all the settings indicated in the link about you gave me, and based on some of the other articles that I have seen while troubleshooting I have changed some of the persistence settings. Here are my configurations, any ideas?

!*************************** GLOBAL ***************************

no restrict web-mgmt

no restrict xml

dns primary 10.20.1.2

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.20.1.1 1

!************************* INTERFACE *************************

interface 1/1

phy 1Gbits-FD-sym

!************************** CIRCUIT **************************

circuit VLAN1

router-discovery lifetime 1000

ip address 10.20.1.4 255.255.255.0

router-discovery

!************************** SERVICE **************************

service Blade01

ip address 10.20.1.60

active

service Blade02

ip address 10.20.1.61

active

service Blade03

ip address 10.20.1.62

active

service Blade04

ip address 10.20.1.63

active

service sorry

ip address 10.20.1.41

active

!*************************** OWNER ***************************

owner OWNER

email-address

content server1

vip address 10.20.1.80

balance aca

add service Blade01

add service Blade02

primarySorryServer sorry

no persistent

active

content server2

vip address 10.20.1.81

add service Blade03

add service Blade04

balance aca

active

!*************************** GROUP ***************************

group server1

vip address 10.20.1.80

add destination service Blade01

add destination service Blade02

add destination service sorry

group server2

add destination service Blade03

add destination service Blade04

vip address 10.20.1.81

any ideas about what ???

You just explained everything is working ?

Gilles.

I'm sorry, in my haste I made a typo. My previous message should have said that the Sorry server is NOT sending out the page that we set up. Thank you for responding despite my confusing error.

Are other services working with the group "server1" not active? Can you activate the group and retest?

If you go directly to the server, do you get the page?

The CSS is checking only for layer 3 connectivity with the servers, are you sure the server is responding at application level?

The other services in the "server1" group are working, we brought things back online after the upgrade and they worked as normal. We had to bring the servers down again this morning for something else and the Sorry server is still not sending the page.

I do get the page if I go directly to the server.

I've double check, and yes, the server is responding at the application level.

Looking at your questions again, I'm not sure that I looked at the correct thing in regards to the third question. Do we want to have the server responding on the application level? If so is that a change that I need the person in charge of the web server to make? Thanks again.

Hi Joe,

Did you get your sorry page to work? I noticed that the documentation at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps789/products_configuration_example09186a0080093de8.shtml

said

"This configuration is useful when you use only one web server and want to keep the other server as a backup or as a sorry server".

We have a similar situation here and I would like to know if you can configure a backup server when u define more than one services in a content rule.

Dmoravar,

My situation is slightly different.

We are defining a threshold load for the servers which will indicate when the sorry server is to be used.

We want new requests to goto a sorry page and existing active connections to keep going to the web servers. Im planning to do this by using either

1)checking load on servers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11500series/v8.10/configuration/content_lb/guide/Load.html

2) Using DFP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11500series/v8.10/configuration/content_lb/guide/DFP.html

In both cases, I suppose I would need to use Arrowpoint cookie awareness. I would then add the primarysorry page into the content rule.

Is my approach correct? Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Another question,

Where can I get a DFP agent. Googling isnt much help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: