cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS3.0.1 - DFM issues

tverhoeven
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently installed LMS3.0.1 and imported the information from a server running 2.6. All seemed to be working well but there seems to be something wrong with DFM. All 672 devices I have are in a "Question" stated. I have tried to do a rediscovery but they all cam back as questioned again.

HELP???

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please post the NMSROOT/objects/smarts/local/logs/DFM.log and DFM1.log.

the two files that I found were DFMserver1.log and DFMserver.log. Both are 0bytes...nothing there. I am sure there is something you are going to want me to turn on but I don't know what.

thanks

There has to be two DFM files under NMSROOT\objects\smarts\local\logs. One is called DFM.log, and the other DFM1.log. If these are not there, then DFM is not properly initializing. Please post the output of pdshow. Also, does this server have .NET 2.0 SP1 or higher installed?

I zipped the files up in here. thanks

I only see three devices in here that are clearly problematic:

There are no other obvious problems with the DFM server. Are you seeing any errors in the Windows Event Viewer?

there seems to be one or two now that you mention it

This has nothing to do with DFM. Please post the contents of the NMSROOT\log\dfmLogs\TIS and cfi directories.

here you go

I still see nothing obviously wrong. Since all of your devices are questioned, try reinitializing the DFM database, then try adding one device from DCR (i.e. do not enable DFM's auto-manage feature). You should also perform a sniffer trace for all SNMP packets to that device at the time you add it to see if there are any errors.

To reinitialize the DFM 3.0.x databases do the following:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmInv dmprefix=INV

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmEpm dmprefix=EPM

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmFh dmprefix=FH

Delete NMSROOT\objects\smarts\local\repos\icf\DFM.rps and DFM1.rps.

That seems to have done the trick...thanks.

Now if you could only help me with all the other problems I am having I would not need to go on training.

1. I want to setup the scanning so that new devices added to the network are found automagically

2. IPM is something I know we could use but I am not sure I am doing it correctly.

3. How can I get CW to work with REMEDY for paging.

4. Does CW have a good mapping software that will show down sites for monitoring purposes?

sorry about all that. i will certainly understand if you don't answer....thanks

You should start new threads for each of these questions. You may want to provide more details as to what you're already doing with IPM as well.

After doing this I was able to get most of the devices into dfm. There are still 68 devices that come back as Questioned. The first time it was a SNMP timeout problem. I increased the timeout value and did a rediscover. The next time they came back with the following error...DataCollector request timeout.

any ideas? I am so close....

Assuming there are no new errors in the DFM.log or DFM1.log, additional DFM debugging will need to be performed. This is not a straight forward process, so it would be a good idea to open a TAC service request, and have them walk you through the steps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: