cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New ASA Question

qbakies11
Level 1
Level 1

There's not a general category and this pertains to a new ASA I bought so I'm posting this here. Please let me know if it should be posted somewhere else.

I went to rack mount my ASA but the figure that they use as an example show the brackets being attached on the back of the ASA. Then the next figure shows the ASA being mounted in the rack from the front (like I would expect) even though the figure above it had the mounting brackets being installed on the back end.

Normally I would just ignore the pictures, put the brackets on the front, and mount it in the rack; but one of the brackets has an extra extension that would be jutting out the front of the rack so I couldn't close the door. I believe the extension is for attaching the included cable management hooks but I don't need them.

Has anyone else had a problem with the new systems mounting in the rack? OI don't want to mount it in the back of the rack (4 post) or backwards. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Quinton

Interesting, can you please take a photo of the ASA with brackets attached which causes the door not to be closed, and upload it here?

Regards

I placed it in a different rack that had more clearance from the post to the frame and it is fine. I ended up putting the brackets on the front of the unit as opposed to the back like in the example. Although I still don't know why they wouldn't include standard mounting brackets for the front so you could use the others in the back to attach the cable management pieces. As it is now I can't use the cable management hooks that shipped with it because there is nothing to attach them to.

Bracket 1 is the large one with the extension. Bracket 2 is regular sized but has a threaded hole in the center for attaching the cable hook. The 'mounting instructions' attachment is to show my confusion as you can clearly see on the second page that the brackets are being attached on the back end of the ASA, but then the next page shows the ASA being mounted in the rack normally which isn't possible with if you place the brackets on the back as shown.

The extension in right bracket is not for attaching the cable hook. Cable hook that comes with the box is used in cable organizers that exist in cabinets. See the image below

http://85.105.34.81/klt/pic/data/patch_panel/org02.jpg

Following is the document you talk about.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa71/getting_started/asa5500/quick/guide/install.html#wp1034022

I assume you are right. Never encountered this type of bracket before.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card