cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC OS X clients can't access network using Parallels

jwt0530
Level 1
Level 1

I have 6 Cisco AP 1131's running LWAPP and a 2106 WLC. Its a pretty basic setup-no VLANs-WEP security. There are 3 MAC's in our office. All 3 run Parallels, MAC OS sw that allows the MACs to run multiple OS's and switch the networking between them via an internal sw bridge.

The problem is that when the MAC user switches from the MAC OS to Win XP, the DHCP request for the (Win XP) client never makes it to the DHCP server; a Wireshark traces shows the client sending the DHCP request but looking at the log on our DHCP server, the request nevers makes it.

The MAC OS client has no problems connecting to network/Internet resources. Win XP and Vista clients are fine as well.

How do I "see" where the packets are being dropped on the WLC and, more importantly, how do I correct this?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

Check the configuration on S/W bridge. Make sure that the broadcast message from the client is not blocked. You can also try to release and renew the computer.

Thanks for the suggestion. In regard to the Parallels SW and the SW bridge, when the client switches over from MAC OS to Win XP (they actually run concurrently) the the Win XP IP stack automatically attempts a DHCP request. However, our DHCP server never gets the request.

This used to work when we had LinkSys AP's installed. Since we upgraded to the WLC and the Cisco AP's the MAC users haven't been happy. I don't see any messages on the WLC saying the client is blocked and I have disabled the auto blocking on the WLC.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card