cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1811 router question

nileshmathure
Level 5
Level 5

If I am using a 1800 series router with two wan interfaces and 8 port 10/100 switch. I know i can setup VLANs on the interfaces. Is it possible to route traffic between the vlans and wan interfaces ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nilesh,

Yes you can do it. All you need is to configure the switch port in respective vlan and configure ip addr under respective SVI interface. Use the SVI interface address as the default gateway for all the host in ur LAN.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, you can setup a BVI interface on your router to route vlan traffic or you can configuer a layer 3 vlan interface on your switch if it is available in your IOS. intervlan routing should be possible on your switch interfaces and routers will route traffic based on their configuration so that shouldn't be a problem. In order for a VLAN to span a router, the router must be capable of forwarding frames from one interface to another, while maintaining the VLAN header. If the router is configured for routing a Layer 3 (network layer) protocol, it will terminate the VLAN and MAC layers at the interface a frame arrives on. have a look at the documents below it should get you started on a workable setup.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094663.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/tk857/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Hi, as far as I know, the 1811 doesn't need BVI interface unless some kind of bridging is involved.

If you want to add VLAN on the fa0/0 , configure subinterface with encapsulation dot1q and the VLAN ID.

If you want to have addiotional VLANs on the 8 switched ports, configure additional VLAN numbered as the ID you want. The port(s) must be set as "switchport mode trunk" to do that.

Note in any case, routing between VLAS will have performances quite inferior to "wire speed".

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does

Thanks for all your help everyone.

We currently have 2 separate networks running to our Vancouver location (DS1 and E10), we would like to add this router as the next HOP within our LAN.

Example: Site A (Rogers), Site B (TELUS) and Site C (LAN Network) - routing information between 3 sites.

My questions are:

Can I route traffic from Site C (Switch Port) to WAN interface Site A and Site B and back?

Does it provide advance IP functionality (Layer 3 routing) on its 8 port switch module?

Hi Nilesh,

Yes you can do it. All you need is to configure the switch port in respective vlan and configure ip addr under respective SVI interface. Use the SVI interface address as the default gateway for all the host in ur LAN.

HTH,

Nagendra

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card