cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 ARP error message

calvin.chu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we just replaced an existing 2611 with a new 2811 router. Everything working fine except we are seeing this log from time to time:

Jan 23 20:49:26: %ARP-3-ARPINT: ARP table accessed at interrupt level 3

, -Traceback= 0x4153A7D0 0x40FD9708 0x40FD6E08 0x41ACA86C 0x41ACA92C 0x41AD6E54 0x4177A91C 0x41ABCC74 0x42824A14 0x4035E084 0x4006DAEC 0x42E965F8 0x42E93EA4 0x400469F0 0x4000FCC0

I tried search in Cisco but didn't find explanation on what caused it. Anyone also come across this and how to fix it? The IOS we are using is 12.4.15T1 and the router just set a few tunnels with OSPF. Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I would suggest you to try 12.4(3j) but it can be a problem for as you possibly don;t have access to downloads.

View solution in original post

r-kaye
Level 1
Level 1

%ARP-3-ARPINT

I had this issue last week on the same code. It was found to be the following bug: CSCse62295.

This DDTS is about traffic shaping over tunnel interfaces.

We realized that we are having problems related with ARP resolution.

We decoded the traceback found in the output of the log command and concluded that ARP resolution is occurring at interrupt level, that is usually forbidden, thus the error message.

Anyway, the good news is that the issue is not service impacting, since correct ARP resolution is also occurring at process level, as it should be.

So it's a cosmetic issue.

Related to the workaround:

As this is not service impacting, the only concern is about the error message.

There is at the moment no fixed downloadable release, so their advice is:

1. Simply to ignore these error messages;

2. Or to downgrade to 12.4(14)T or below images, that don't present this issue.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Calvin

I have not seen that particular message. But a traceback is generally a sign of a software problem. Sometimes software problems indicated by tracebacks are mostly cosmetic errors and do not impact processing (which seems to be the case in your description). And sometimes software problems indicated by tracebacks are more serious.

You say that you did a search in Cisco but you do not say whether you attempted to use the output interpreter. If you have not yet tried this in the output interpreter you might want to try that.

If you are concerned by this message you might try loading a different image on the router and see if it clears it up.

Of course you can also open a case with the TAC and see what they can find out about it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks. Yes, I did search in output interpreter. It just told me to try bug toolkit or open TAC. Unfortunately I can't open TAC as I don't have Cisco support contract. So I want to see if anybody come across this and know what caused the message. Then I can try to find a workaround or reproduce it in lab to test on another IOS before load it to production.

I would suggest you to try 12.4(3j) but it can be a problem for as you possibly don;t have access to downloads.

r-kaye
Level 1
Level 1

%ARP-3-ARPINT

I had this issue last week on the same code. It was found to be the following bug: CSCse62295.

This DDTS is about traffic shaping over tunnel interfaces.

We realized that we are having problems related with ARP resolution.

We decoded the traceback found in the output of the log command and concluded that ARP resolution is occurring at interrupt level, that is usually forbidden, thus the error message.

Anyway, the good news is that the issue is not service impacting, since correct ARP resolution is also occurring at process level, as it should be.

So it's a cosmetic issue.

Related to the workaround:

As this is not service impacting, the only concern is about the error message.

There is at the moment no fixed downloadable release, so their advice is:

1. Simply to ignore these error messages;

2. Or to downgrade to 12.4(14)T or below images, that don't present this issue.

Thanks a lot for the information. I tested and it is ok after we removed the service-policy which have police statement inside.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card