cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subrate DS3 vs non subrate

Wermy
Level 1
Level 1

At what point will a subrate card on a 2811 begin to have problems?

I have a 2811 only used to terminate a DS3. Will it have problems at full speed? Exactly what is the limitation? Throughput, Packets per Second? Does anyone know when should I get concerned?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We have a DS3 terminated on a 2811 and it works fine. The traffic through the router is of the order of 30 meg running BGP/QoS etc and haven't faced any problems

HTH

Narayan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ernie

According to a router performance document from Cisco the 2811 should be able to forward about 61 Mbps and about 120,000 PPS. This is in a straight forwarding with everything in the CEF/fast switching path - no services enabled environment. So if you are doing any packet filtering, any policy based routing, any routing protocol, any logging, any QOS, any encryption, any compression, or similar functions the performance will be less.

You are the only one who knows what the router is configured to do. But based on your description I would assume that you do not have many features enabled and that you might get pretty close to full speed before it has problems.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

We have a DS3 terminated on a 2811 and it works fine. The traffic through the router is of the order of 30 meg running BGP/QoS etc and haven't faced any problems

HTH

Narayan

Fantastic! Exactly what I needed.

Thanks Narayan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco