cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect to a VPN 3000 from Vista (64bit)?

cco1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Due to the problem, that the VPN client only works on Vista 32bit, we've got a severe problem with the growing number of Vista-64 users. Cisco has obviously no plans, to port that VPN client to the 64bit-platform. On the other side, we can't use the Cisco Anyconnect client, that would work on Vista-64, because this client doesn't support the VPN 3000 series we are using (only supports ASA 5500).

So, what to do now (except trade in the 3000 series :-)?

I've already tried to get a connection (IPsec) with a few alternative VPN Clients (e.g. NCP), but it didn't work. Then i tried to use the onboard VPN capabilities of Vista. But i only could get access by using PPTP. Using L2tp over IPsec didn't work at all.

Is there any solution or workaround available, to give our Vista-64 users access to our VPN 3000 Concentrators?

Thanks!

Marco

4 Replies 4

lynne.meeks
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same problem here. Wish I had an answer for you... We do have one ASA but still use a couple of VPN 3000s, and we want to be consistant in our VPN approach so AnyConnect is not a good answer.

Were you ever able to get L2TP over IpSec working with Windows XP and a VPN 3000? Or is that something you didn't try? We'd like to get that working for some clients that don't have a Cisco VPN client, and some that simply want to use the built-in client, but it does not work correctly.

It will connect but only if I enable IPSec in addition to L2TP/IPSec on the concentrator.

And it seems to ignore the password we set in the IPSEc settings (it can be blank or wrong and still connect ) so I don't think the IPSec portion is working; I think we are only getting L2TP -- despite the fact that the Microsoft implementation claims to be L2TP/IPSec.

Lynne

Of course i tried connecting from Win XP Clients and from Vista Clients as well using their built-in VPN tool. Neither the XP machines, nor the Vista machines were able to connect correctly to the Concentrator. In both cases i just got an error, although i followed that Cisco Document: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/products_configuration_example09186a0080094aca.shtml

But i haven't tried your tip, activating IPSec and L2TP at the same time, so far. Gonna try that later.

Today i'm also going to ask our Cisco customer support, what solutions or workarounds are available, but i fear, that Cisco wants to let the 3000s series die and thus force the customers to buy ASAs.

Marco

SSL Vpn?

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

February 18, 2010
Due to popular demand, the Cisco VPN Client v5.0.7 open beta is now available!
In addition to serving as a general maintenance release, the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.7 beta is compatible with Windows 7 & Windows Vista 64-bit environments. 
A 64-bit specific compatible image is available for installation on these platforms.

Please have communicate feedback (both positive and problems) to cvc-beta@cisco.com.

Key Capabilities available for Beta Testing:
New Platform support – Windows 7 & Windows Vista 64-bit platform compatibility
Software Access: http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=281940730 (under 5.BETA)
Software is available for download by any customer with a Cisco.com SMARTnet™ enabled login.
Release Notes will be available next week via a link once the download image is selected.