cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Supply Cords - keyed differently

frank_nye
Level 1
Level 1

We are getting some Cisco power supplies for our Catalyst switches (6500, 5500, 4500 & 4000) that come with cords that are keyed opposite of the other ones we're using and they won't fit in our outlets.

The one power supply has these specs:

100-240V 16-7A 50/60HZ and uses power cord part number 72-0870-01. This cord will fit in our outlets.

Some other power supplies we have, have these specs:

100-240V 16A 50/60HZ and use power cord part numbered: 72-2105-01 and this cord will NOT fit in our outlets as it is keyed opposite our other ones.

The only difference is in the amperage. One calls of "16A" (16 amps) and the other calls for "16 - 7A" (I don't know exactly what that means... 16 amps - 17 amps?)

Can anyone shed some light on this. We are going to have to have new electrical outlets installed to power these. Can I just buy the other type of cord instead?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

frank_nye@usa.net

2 Replies 2

frank_nye
Level 1
Level 1

I forgot to mention, the power cords are only keyed differently on the end that plugs into the electrical outlet. The end of the power cord that plugs into the power supply itself is the same on all of the power cords.

You'd think if it was critcal to have a different power cord for certain power supplies, that they would make the cord different at both ends so you couldn't accidently get the power cords mixed up.

Sounds like you are looking at NEMA 5 vs. NEMA 6

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af7.shtml#cat6k1

Seems like the NEMA 6 is keyed for a 220 circuit, and the NEMA 5 for a 110 industrial. The PSU will operate at different output wattages depending on the input voltage.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card