lwap to autonomous

Unanswered Question
Jan 24th, 2008

how i can Upgrading Lightweight Mode to Autonomous Cisco Aironet Access Points ??

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
manjesin Sat, 01/26/2008 - 12:07

Hi ahmad,

What i understand you want to convert from Lightweight mode to autonomous mode ... no reverse of it..

Link to download tftp server

Link to download AP image you to upload:

Here is the step that you can try :-

LWAPP to autonomus AP converstion steps

Here is a example steps for you:

Step 1 The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of to

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1100-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1100-k9w7-tar.default for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

From this doc;

Hope this helps! ..

Pls rate if it resolve ur issue so that others can also benefit from these steps.

purepense Thu, 01/31/2008 - 22:27

I try all this steps but the AP is juts rebooting and rebooting it never stops.

I believe all firmware is corrupted, is any other way we can erase everything and start over again?

purepense Fri, 02/01/2008 - 07:27

Hello Rob, I try to install the image c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEA3.tar, I change the name to c1200-k9w7-tar.default

But still the AP is jut rebooting and rebooting, stops for 30 seconds and reboot again, I use TFTP software setting the IP on my laptop to

Any Idea?

rob.huffman Fri, 02/01/2008 - 13:56

Hi Francisco,

Have you looked at the logs on the TFTP Server? They may shed some light on this.

purepense Fri, 02/01/2008 - 14:27

Rob I got it, it was a setting on the TFTP program under the DHCP Server tab, this are the settings I use

IP poll Starting address

Size of pool 2 (Note) If you set more of 2 it may not pick the right IP for your laptop that was may case

Boot file ---

WINS/DNS server

Default Router

My laptop was set with static IP of Mask

Thak you for all your help.

rob.huffman Fri, 02/01/2008 - 16:53

Hi Francisco,

You are most welcome my friend! Nice to be of some small help :)

Take care,

ahmedalshami Mon, 02/18/2008 - 03:25

i coudnt converte the lwap to autonomous

i did all what you said but nothing happen please help me

this is the erorr from TFTP and IOS

please check the aTTACHED FILES

Good evening,

I recently helped a client who had incorrectly purchased a AIR-LAP-1252AG-A-K9 LWAP native AP. Of course the AP had never been autonomous before. This is the fancy 802.11n model with 6 antenna's for mimo.

Here is what i did;

like the original poster's steps...

-I had my laptop with tftp server directly connected to the AP with a crossover cable

-my laptop configured with the ip (the AP will use when it reboots)

-hold the AP's reset button for a while. you may have to do this several times... the ap will go into a mode where it looks for any tftp server

-your tftp-server needs to have the autonomous code named EXACTLY as the AP is looking for it... even if you download xyz.tar from cisco's site, rename appropriately, in this instance i renamed the .tar to c1250-k9w7-tar.default

I have attached the log from my console software.

This Discussion