Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client 5+ and Windows Vista compatibility question

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Please forgive my long explanation below:

we have two Cisco VPN concentrator 3 and we use Windows XP Pro for all users with Cisco VPN client version 5+ installed. users on XP has no problem connecting remotely using the VPN client through theCisco VPN concentrator however, we have a few executives who are on Windows Vista (they need to be for statistical purposes) and they have issues recently.

the problem is:

when trying to connect remotely using Cisco VPN Cient, it gets a log time for the client to "secure the communication Channel" and it eventually times out.

Whats very strenge, is that, after a few tries, they can login and the client finaly gets through the securing communication channel phase!

if there is a compatibility issue then it shouldn't work at all but it will work after a few tries and only has problem when the client trys to secure the communication channel.

the transposrt is set to use IPSec over TCP over port 10000 and the peer response time is et to 90 sec.

I really appreciate iff someone could please shed some light on this and help me resolving this issue.

Regards,

Mike.

3 Replies 3

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike,

Is the Vista OS, 32 bit or 64 bit. If this is 32 bit OS, then VPN Client 5.x should work fine. If this is 64 bit OS, then VPN Client 5.x is not supported.

Can you please let me know what the bit level is , so we can look into the logs further and see what is going on.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate helpful posts **

hi Arul,

we have Vista 32 bit. they never had this specific problem in that past.I think that some upgrades/patches from Microsoft must have caused this for his machine.

the funny thing is that after a few tries he can login. my question is: if the cisco VPN clinet isn't able to get pass the securing communication channel, then it should stay that way but, the connectioon gets pass this problem after a few tries!

he is an executive and I really need to fix his problem. removing the Cisco VPN client and reinstalling has not fixed it!

pls advise.

Mike

64 bit support for Windows Vista and Windows 7 is added in 5.0.7, now in public beta.

Software Access: http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=281940730 (under 5.BETA)
Software is available for download by any customer with a Cisco.com SMARTnet™ enabled login.